Critique for a web design based app

stephen.jensen

Hey everyone, I'd love a critique on this website Source Compare https://www.sourcecompare.com/ for both the layout but also the content. The idea is an app that allows people to track versions of their assets in the same way that developers might track their code with Git. You can create new versions and vote on the best ones with other people on your team to determine which ones people like the best.

My main question is, does that come across with the layout of my home page? Is this idea something that someone would find useful? Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, as a sole trader, I don't see any reason to use it over more traditional version tracking software....
Not to mention for me it has to be all in house and the companies that would have the most use for version tracking (ie big companies) would likely have more bespoke options.

I've also got this idea in my head that adobe CC includes this or something similar....

First up, the font is horrible. Second, it's not obvious that hovering over the Steps will immediately change the graphic to the right, which is a bit jarring when it happens. Could this not be a simple animation, cycling through the steps?

Thanks for the feedback Kristian, out of curiosity what does the font look like on your computer? I didn't even set it actually so for me on a mac, it defaults to the ui-sans-serif font:

Is that the horrible one? If not, it seems like I really need to provide a sensible fallback to account for all types of environments.

I like your suggestion of cycling through, maybe I could have some logic where if someone hovers it will pause the cycling.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the feedback Kristian, out of curiosity what does the font look like on your computer? I didn't even set it actually so for me on a mac, it defaults to the ui-sans-serif font:

Is that the horrible one? If not, it seems like I really need to provide a sensible fallback to account for all types of environments.

I like your suggestion of cycling through, maybe I could have some logic where if someone hovers it will pause the cycling.

Thanks again!
I'm on a Mac too, so I think we're seeing the same thing. I guess it's because it's the system font that I naturally associate it with being very basic. I also wonder whether the text might just be a bit too big as well. It kind of detracts from the overall feel, like it's dumbed down. I also wonder whether the background colour works that well with the text too. Like maybe a richer blue would work, or a straight up black?

Your suggestion re logic cycling makes perfect sense too. I like to see the process playing out but also like to be able to stop that process on a specific step if I want to understand it better.

Back