Critique and Feedback on Children's Picturebook

monicamaza12

Hello everyone!
I'm new to the forum, but I'd thought I'd reach out. I am working on my master thesis on design and illustration, and I'm currently creating a children's picturebook. As part of my user testing investigation, I am looking for critique and feedback on the illustrations I have created. Without knowing anything about the story, let me know what you think about these illustrations!

Some questions to think about: Do these illustrations take you somewhere in particular? Is the color system balanced and harmonious? Is the style a good choice for a children's book? Is this something you would buy for your child, grandchild or niece/nephew?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Monica

Attachments

• Scene1_Morales.jpg
    Scene1_Morales.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 15
  • Scene4_Morales copy.jpg
    Scene4_Morales copy.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Scene9_Morales copy.jpg
    Scene9_Morales copy.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Scene10_Morales copy.jpg
    Scene10_Morales copy.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Scene13_Moralescopy.jpg
    Scene13_Moralescopy.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Scene19_Morales copy.jpg
    Scene19_Morales copy.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 15
I'm guessing somewhere Spanish-speaking.

They look ok, I particularly like the street scene. The problem with using gouache or acrylic is that the colours can be a bit 'muddy' or dark, and they would be more so once printed.
I would try watercolour or even try and do them digitally. You would then be able to do them bigger and quicker and get more detail into the faces, which is the only thing that lets them
down I think. Try a tiny highlight on the eyes.

Great effort. I really like all the designs and illustrations. My favorite one from
those you shared is scene_9. Moreover, as @Wardy has suggested, I agree
with him that the colors will be somewhat muddy once printed.

Back