Confused - Different Page titles GOOGLE

Tony Hardy

Hey everyone.

I'm a bit confused here, I've ran through the basic SEO stuff as recommended by Google, meta titles, title tags, descriptions etc and uploaded the site tastytreats.org.uk

However, when I search tastytreats.org.uk, the title appears to be Candy Cakes with some lorem ipsum placeholder text as a description.

Now, I've recently set up what Google recommended and 'submitted' the site to Google, I think. It picks up the right site, but with the wrong titles.

Do I need to wait for Google to crawl(?) my site again?
When I search the exact page title and description etc, it doesn't even bring it up, so I'm thinking maybe it's not in the Google database (if that's what they have) yet?

Cheers
Tony

I get the lorem text if I search; site:tastytreats.org.uk to see all the crawled pages. Your going to have to wait for Google to crawl it again or you can speed that up by going to Webmaster Tools >> Diagnostics >> Fetch As Googlebot and then submitting the home page URL and then adding it to the index.

BUT!... Before you do any of that you must sort out which version of the domain you are optimising for. I can get to the site through both tastytreats.org and tastytreats.org. You need to fix it to one or the other through .htaccess and redirect or Google will dilute your Search Engine juice.

www.tastytreats.org/index.html should also redirect me back to the URL tastytreats.org or the same dilution happens.

Search engines are fun huh?

Hey Corrosive.

I don't think the client owns just .org? I get a random spam looking page when I go on .org and it only works through .org.uk, which is the domain the client has bought.
I think I've already tried to add the URL to the index on the Webmaster Tools.

Tasty Treats - Sweets, Pop, Biscuits and Confectionery Shop - North East England should redirect you to where? Tastytreats.org.uk? How do I go about doing that?

Search engines are really fun, and I just love spending my time playing with their overly complicated systems :(

Also, Squeeze, I've just seen your post there.
Really?
Are you googling tastytreats.org.uk (all one word) or tasty treats.org.uk, because I find that they're both bringing back different results, while neither have particularly sensible 'snippets' as such.
About foam shrimps and black bullets? We have a sensible one wrote and included in the meta tags so hopefully Google will crawl on by and update it.

Hey Corrosive.

I don't think the client owns just .org? I get a random spam looking page when I go on .org and it only works through .org.uk, which is the domain the client has bought.
I think I've already tried to add the URL to the index on the Webmaster Tools.

Tasty Treats - Sweets, Pop, Biscuits and Confectionery Shop - North East England should redirect you to where? Tastytreats.org.uk? How do I go about doing that?

Search engines are really fun, and I just love spending my time playing with their overly complicated systems :(

Yes, you are right, sorry. I wrote that post in a rush this morning. I am talking about .org.uk and the same applies. You need to look at .htaccess to redirect either www. to non-www. or vice versa.

Last edited:
Ah right, I get what you mean there.
What do you recommend? Is there a better option of www. or non-www?

Ah right, I get what you mean there.
What do you recommend? Is there a better option of www. or non-www?

Nope, it actually doesn't matter a jot as long as you choose one. Personally I stick with www. for all the sites I build but that's just out of habit and so that I don't get confused by using different ones for different sites.

Well, I've managed to redirect it to the www. but I didn't use htaccess.
There was a redirect option the control panel of the website which has done the trick. I'm assuming this is just a front and will have modified the htaccess for me?

Now what do I do, I'm optimising the www. files?

You did use .htaccess... You just didn't know it :icon_wink:

Now look at redirecting /index.html to just the plain URL. Should be option for that in cPanel as well.

Done that too, through the same panel :) even Tasty Treats - Sweets, Pop, Biscuits and Confectionery Shop - North East England redirects too it.
Now on with the optimisation I"m guessing?
I'm busy reading through the Google Docs on it. Just hope the site is going to load on Google properly in due course.

EDIT: Actually, that only works when it's typed into the domain bar, not when clicking through the site itself. :/ Should I just change the page links themselves to the actual website address?

Last edited:
It's working for me when I click the menu bar and yep, Google will catch up and put in the correct text. Just give it a bit of time.

When I click back through using the logo or on the homepage button, it shows index.html in the address bar.
Cheers for the help Corrosive, means a lot.
Now, back to this exciting Google Doc.

When I click back through using the logo or on the homepage button, it shows index.html in the address bar.
Cheers for the help Corrosive, means a lot.
Now, back to this exciting Google Doc.

Try refreshing your browser a couple of times. Should clear it but, yes, the best way is just to make them without /index.html.

I have a VERY annoying SEO salesman I can give your number to. He really is quite persistent that we should spend £2k per month to use his services. Perhaps he could bug you for a bit :icon_tongue_smilie:

Enjoy your Google Doc.

Haha he's trying to flog you SEO for £2000 a month, when you can do it yourself? Lol. What a tool.
So if I just make the links to tastytreats.org.uk rather than index it's a better way of working?

EDIT: Also, the index has cleared out of the search bar, but for future reference :) no link to the index.

Haha he's trying to flog you SEO for £2000 a month, when you can do it yourself? Lol. What a tool.

To be fair he is flogging link building and article writing which is the bit it is hardest to find time to do when you are running your own business but still... £2k!!

So if I just make the links to tastytreats.org.uk rather than index it's a better way of working?

Yeah, just avoids any unnecessary crawling by SE bots. Also check out rel="canonical" if you are trawling the Google Docs. Also very useful :icon_biggrin:

Haha cheers Corrosive :) Thankfully this website is only 4-5 pages so Canonical shouldn't really need to feature here, especially seeing as the shop is offsite :) Finally gave in on trying to prorgramme a cart and went for Shopify.

Just got to clean some code up, implement a few Facebook buttons here and there and the site should be rolling.
Also, need new photographs taken to do some justice to the products.

Now I need actual access to the .htaccess folder to create a custom 404 page, but, I can't seem to get any access to it. It's not showing up in the Cpanel or FTP<, I've emailed the hosts. Surely if I've already 'used' it to do the redirects, the file exists somewhere, rather than having to create it?

Now I need actual access to the .htaccess folder to create a custom 404 page, but, I can't seem to get any access to it. It's not showing up in the Cpanel or FTP<, I've emailed the hosts. Surely if I've already 'used' it to do the redirects, the file exists somewhere, rather than having to create it?

Yep, it's got to be there in the root of the site somewhere.

Got my hands on it. Hidden :)
And, when you download it, it disappears unless you rename it before download.
Stupid file starting with a dot.

Back