Company Rebrand Ownership

Hi there, looking for some business/graphics advice.

If you work as a Graphic Designer for a company and are asked to rebrand and create a marketing plan (not your normal daily job, but naturally something your capable of) should you do this as part of your employment or, for rebranding, renaming and restructuring the company (merging two) would one expect or propose that the employer pay an additional sum for this type of work?

Any advice appreciated.

By all means, go ahead and ask for a bonus payment for the work and your boss might surprise you but it's very unlikely. Simply because your contract of employment will state something along the lines of "..and any additional duties within reason to assist the daily running of the business..", meaning that you've already agreed to undertake extra duties as part of your normal salaried role.

Rather than demanding more money, perhaps you should speak to your boss and explain that a rebrand and the writing of guidelines is an extensive job and would he be happy for you to work some paid overtime to ensure that this project didn't interfere with your other work duties.

thanks - I guess thats not what I wanted to hear but I kind of thought might be the case. See I'm renaming the place, the name itself is not particularly quirky or fun but has been chosen to appeal to a certain market and make it easier for customers. I feel that the rebrand will add a lot of value and along with the marketing plan it will increase the bottom line quite a lot. I know its no a given but I think, after being there for more than 2 years, I have a grasp of what is achievable. Thats why I'm not happy to continue the work on the low salary I'm on.

thanks for your reply

Speak to the boss and request a pay review in light of the extra responsibility you're finding yourself being given (ie; rebranding the company). The worst he can say is no.

From a boss point of view I want staff to pitch in and help out wherever needed and help to make my company profitable. I try to pay them according to their value to my company and I don't think we should get TOO stuck over job descriptions. If an employee starts doing work that's effectively more lucrative for the company or has more responsibility then I wouldn't treat a pay rise as an unreasonable request. However I don't think this request should be after the first piece of this new type of work! Is there not a system of pay reviews in place and can that not be leveraged?

Thanks for your replies.

Before this project I managed to get a pay increase. Yes I know this must sound greedy. However, my salary was very low - I took anything I could get and had just come out of uni (its well below the average for a Junior as posted on another post). I've been there two years. It is nearly at the average junior salary on that other post but its still low - it is Greater London too! Life ain't cheap here.

This is the first month of my new pay. It was only when someone pointed out to me the value of what I was doing that it hit me. Of course I dont mind pitching in with things that are not specifically in the job description but I want to know I'm getting back something fair for what I'm giving.

Should I:
a- leave it cause I just had a raise
b- ask for another raise
c- ask to be paid extra for this project
d- refuse to do it if no additional pay is offered
e- offer to do it on a freelance basis (though I don't have a lot of free time as it is)
f- other

Sorry, but work done for the company on the company time is up to the boss. And the company owns all the copyright too. I would do it, wait and see how well it is received and how much it increases the company profits, then ask for a pay-rise or a bonus! Used to be an employer - and I wouldn't have given my designer extra for doing a job I'd asked them to do!

^ This, but I'd probably stick my neck out and ask upfront if there'd be any additional recognition in it for me if it goes well.

Should I:
a- leave it cause I just had a raise
b- ask for another raise
c- ask to be paid extra for this project
d- refuse to do it if no additional pay is offered
e- offer to do it on a freelance basis (though I don't have a lot of free time as it is)
f- other

With my employer hat on I'll be blunt. The very fact that you've contemplated b, c, d, and e makes me worry. If one of my employees came back to me with one of those options it would be a totally wtf moment for me and I'd seriously start thinking about the viability of your employment. As I've already said - leverage the pay review system which is in place either every 6 or 12 months.

Back