CMS for a beginner

bigdave

I've agreed to build a website for a friends business as part of the steep learning curve that is teaching myself to code. He want's to be able to update the site himself and add/change bits so the obvious solution is a CMS. I've dabbled with cushy in the past which is very straight forward but also quite limiting so probably not suitable for this, meaning it's learning time again! :icon_biggrin: Is there a good place to start learning how to build content management systems? Maybe an idiots guide or a method/system that would suit a beginner?

Cheers

Oooh.... Didn't realise its as simple as just buying a cms (I'd assumed there would have been a monthly subscription to stuff like that).

Ok, having done a bit of reading I now feel a bit stupid. Having never used the likes of Wordpress or Joomla, it didn't even occur to me that I should perhaps start there! :icon_blushing:

Hey ho, you learn something new every day! lol

I would absolutely recommend Perch (Perch - The really little content management system (CMS)). If you know PHP then I think it's very easy.

It's cheap at £35 a site. Their customer support is brilliant (I've sent them loads of questions). The admin area for customers is really simple too which I think is often overlooked.

This site, which I recently created, uses it: Bann Valley Flies

I don't know it so I'm not knocking it but that looks like a convoluted version of Wordpress and looks like you need a fair bit of coding knowledge behind you.

Ok, having done a bit of reading I now feel a bit stupid. Having never used the likes of Wordpress or Joomla, it didn't even occur to me that I should perhaps start there! :icon_blushing:

And out of those two you should find WordPress easier so long as you remember it started off life as blog software. However you will still have a fair bit of learning to do.

Back