Choosing the better design for a better website?

jaydenharris98

I'm a programmer (hobbyist, however trying to create it a career) by nature therefore after I was asked to design a web site I felt alittle out of place (most of my applications haven't got pretty UI's, they simply work as a result of i am the sole one using them). I actually have been trying into how I might design my web site and commenced wondering how you guys decide.

What tips are you able to guys provide me? What should I think about before I begin coding?

Personally I would say, if you have no design knowledge whatsoever than rather than trying to learn quickly on the job (which usually has disastrous results unless you have a natural aptitude for design) it would be a better idea to team up with a designer and split the website payment - so they design, you code. There are quite a few designers on here willing to take on that kind of work, perhaps if you have a specific project in mind you could post it up in the partnerships section?

I agree with Linziloop, your better off sticking to the code (while you learn design) and splitting it, or 40/60 split in your favour. Not forever but while you learn, and at the same time your portfolio will look better hopefully generating more work off the back of it.

BUT to answer your question, I design around funnels, before I start any project I will draw out the users entrance page (homepage) and map the route the user must take to the conversion, this might be a sales confirmation, email confirmation or contact us page.

I then focus on designing around trying to get users through this funnel using call to actions, trust elements etc.

Have a look at dribbble.com as well, this might help to unlock some of the creative sides to you.

You remark this 8 point for choosing better web design for better website

1. Use Templates and Frameworks (Even If It’s Homemade)
2. Conform to XHTML 1.0 Strict Doctype
3. Use Good and Consistent Naming Conventions
4. Understand and Take Advantage of CSS Inheritance
5. Reset Your Style Rules
6. Use CSS Shorthand Properties
7. Margin and Padding Properties
8. Put Things in the Proper Place and Order

Back