children's book ePub issues

KathG

Hello, I'm new here. I'm a children's book designer and have recently started working for Reedsy. I'm having issues exporting to ePub from Indesign (latest version). The resulting file looks great on my iBooks reader but the clients tell me that on the kindle reader the text has boxes around it, psd files overlap and generally everything looks terrible. I've tried asking for advice from KDP but no help at all. Can anyone advise please? Thank so much!

Yes, export to fixed layout It's like any text boxes on the page lose their transparency and overlap images, or images with transparent background become solid with definable edges. Also the text bunches up within the boxes. Thanks for the reply!

Are they PNG files?

Try changing the extension of the epub to .zip
Unzip the document (you might need a different unzipper on Mac)
Replace the jpeg images with PNG.

Rezip
And rechange the name back to epub.

From what I understand, the more complex the design, the more complex the solution. Pushing a few buttons or changing file names doesn't necessarily work.
My wife works for a small publishing company that publishes children's books with illustrations. When converting their InDesign files to ePUB format, they generally outsource it to a vendor that specializes in the process:
There are many both onshore and offshore that handle this work. Here's a domestic resource I found online:
Hope this helps.

- Jeff

Well nobody said change the file name, it's a complete image swap as sometimes indesign opts for jpeg instead of original transparent pages.

And yes, some epubs do need a bit more work

Back