Charging for Research & Strategy time

Russell

Hi All,

I’ve been doing some business strategy thinking lately and would value the input from you guys, especially those working in an agency environment. I’ve had a few projects recently, mainly centred around branding packages, that I’ve accrued a fair few un-billable hours in the early stages before quoting for deliverables.

I’m talking about things like meetings to explore the potential clients needs/ building a brief, defining clients target markets and strategies for marketing themselves.

Historically I’ve pretty much just viewed this time as defining a brief and therefore not charged for them. However you could equally class these services as ‘brand strategy/ positioning’ exercises that really should be charged for.

I suppose the main question is how to go about making sure that the research and strategy phases don’t go uncharged when quite often you can’t quote for a set of deliverables until they are done. If anyone does offer brand strategy type services along side design how do you go about charging for these? Any input valued :icon_smile:

Back