Capitalisation of names - help needed please

rushy5150

Hello all designers - I create wedding videos and have long used for my titles lowercase letters for my couples' names - I believe it gives my films a more contemporary look and separates me from some of the cheesy offerings of other companies - Example below

https://vimeo.com/78154418

I've now had a priest of a recent wedding rant at me via facebook for using lowercase letters in such a way - I have responded outlining in detail my reason why and I have only a few examples to back me up, so I was hoping the collective knowledge of you good people could point me to some more examples of type used in this way.

Many thanks in advance if you are able to help.

Pete

This is something I constantly argued with my tutor about at uni. She was very strict that if you're doing something typographic, you should follow all the rules, and would constantly pull me up on things like capitalisation. My argument was that if it was a conscious decision (i.e. not a mistake), it looks good and it suits the design, what's the problem?

People have an idea of how things should be based on what they've seen before. I occasionally have clients request things be changed/moved "because that's how it's normally done," rather than them looking at the design as a whole and accepting that the slightly different approach to something, actually works.

To be honest though, in this instance I do think the lack of capitalisation in the names does look a bit odd. I think it's ok to lose the caps with brand names and such like, but when it's a person's name, I would always capitalise, otherwise it looks like you lack grammar skills.

As for the priest, just threaten to tell God about his ranting, or sit in on one of his weddings and tell him how to do his 'job'. Really it's none of his concern. If the couple getting married are happy with the result, that's all that counts.

I'm largely with Paul in that lowercase type for proper names is fine in some instances (brand names), less so in others (people's names). I also think that wholesale application of l/c as a design choice is a bit old hat these days - I think it became widespread when people started to become familiar with URLs but that hardly places it at the cutting edge any more. I don't know why a priest should give a toss but I've had instances in the distant past where people have raised valid objections (schools, for example, often don't like it as it goes against the grain of literacy strategies and the like).

Back