Can Quark 9 open a Quark 7 file?

Marian

Hi guys

I have been off work for a few weeks so an outside design company has put together our latest prospectus.

They have put it together in Quark 7 on a Mac. Is there a way I can open up the file in Quark 9 on a PC?

I hope you can help :icon_wink:

Generally, newer software is capable of opening older versions - it's the other way round that causes problems with how the older software interprets the newer features.

I have Quark 7 and 9 on different machines (both Macs) and 9 is very happy to open versions 7.

I wouldn't imagine any difficulty in it being on different platforms other than perhaps compatible fonts.

Have you tried it?

Hi PCB

Thanks for your reply. We've tried opening the document on several machines with no luck.

I've sent an email to the design company to see if they can shed any light. The file is 8,000KB so is not massive.

I am confused :icon_scared:

I'd look into the Mac/PC conversion rather than the version compatibility - if memory serves, Quark can be quite picky when it comes to the way files are collected and saved when you need to switch platform.

I'd look into the Mac/PC conversion rather than the version compatibility - if memory serves, Quark can be quite picky when it comes to the way files are collected and saved when you need to switch platform.

I was just about to say the same thing as Dave. Its not the fact that they are different versions, more that they are on different operating systems.

Mac - PC have never really worked together to start with so I would have anticipated problems before even trying to open the file.

Quark can handle the conversion but, like I say, you need to make sure you've got everything lined up properly.

Sometimes just opening a Mac file, which doesn't add files tags eg .qxd, on a PC means just adding the tag! Try that first.

Back