Can anyone recommend a good postcard stock, for a traditional postcard pack?

delalama

Hi All,

I need to tap into an alternative source of knowledge...

Can anyone suggest a thick, bright white stock to use for a traditional postcard pack?
I am trying to source a stock which is coated one side (for an image) and uncoated the other side (to allow for writing with a pen etc).

The stock would need to be as thick as possible, and bright white to allow the images to really punch up.

We have already experiment with the below stocks, and have found the following problems:
• Trucard 400gsm – too yellow and dulls down the image side.
• HB Carolina board 400gsm – it has a slightly mottled effect on the uncoated side, and is more towards grey than a bright white, so images not punched up.
•*Astralux – nice stock, but too expensive, and not suitable if a matt laminate finish is required.

Duplexing and really expensive paper stocks will not be possible due to budget, (and possible warping effects from duplexing).

Also not looking for an existing high gloss, like Chromolux, as and we need to laminate the image side anyway, in order to protect from scratching.
(Also need to keep the option of matt laminating open, so high gloss stock not ideal)

Thank you for any suggestions!

Michael

Gosh - I was going to suggest Trucard... have you asked whoever is printing it to suggest. If you are matt laminating it anyway (presumably on the picture side) do you really need a coated stock...?

The best approach I've found is to contact paper suppliers and ask their opinion, or drop in and talk to them, with your samples.

They'd be best able to handle your request.

Gosh - I was going to suggest Trucard... have you asked whoever is printing it to suggest. If you are matt laminating it anyway (presumably on the picture side) do you really need a coated stock...?

Hi Kate,

Thanks – I have already asked our regular printers and they suggested the Carolina Board and Satimat (though Satimat doesn't come with coated one side, coated the other).

I would need some kind of coated or silk on one side in order for the laminate to take – giving a traditional postcard feel.

It's annoying that Trucard is sturdy and comes in coated/uncoated, but it is just too yellow and dull our images.

The best approach I've found is to contact paper suppliers and ask their opinion, or drop in and talk to them, with your samples.

They'd be best able to handle your request.

Hi Hanks,

Again, our printer has run out of suggestions, so we are floating online to broaden our search...

You shouldn't need to have coated stock in order to laminate successfully...? I'm certain I've done it in the past on something like an Ivory board...(but I could be wrong!)

Back