Buy new lens Canon EF-S 17-85mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM

Jordan

I have been looking at lens and noticed a lens on eBay a Canon EF-S 17-85mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM just wondering if anyone has got one and could give me some advice about buying lenses.
Currently I have 50mm lens 1.8 cracking little lens for the money, also have the standard kit lens and 35mm - 105mm 3.5 (this lens has seen better days.)
Any advice would be appreciated.

incredibly heavy. which body are you using it on?
focus ring isn't as smooth as they imply on their website but doesnt matter if you're not videoing.
i have a 50mm 1.8 i think and a 75-300mm 2.4-3.6 or something (cant remember off top of my head), and they immediately started gathering dust. it's perfect.
i bought it about 18 months ago for £250. they don't resell, so bear that in mind.

I will be using it with a 450D sound like a good walk around lens, was also looking at a Tamron 28-75 but went with this purely on price.
Got it for £115, so sound like a good deal to me, as long as its working as it should, you know what eBay is like. :)

I wish I knew what photographers/film makers were talking about half the time. I've always wanted a really good DSLR but don't want to be one of those "camera wanders" that don't actually know what they're doing!

Only way you learn is by trying, I was same as you didn't have a clue about camera with all the settings, after taking a million pictures of my dog and general rubbish, not getting too bad with it. its funny when my friends see my camera, they're like ' is it not time you got a new camera, look at the size of it' :)

i wouldnt call myself a photographer by any stretch of the imagination, it's all just learned from f*cking up 95% of the time.

What we usually advise in our shop is invest......With canon if you jump up to full frame in the future, you will have to change most of your lenses to compensate with the sensor.
Take a look at L series stuff, Its premium glass, the focussing is sharp and responsive and it will work on a crop sensor like on the 450D. It's expensive some of the time but there's some gems on our second hand bit which you can pick up cheapish! I'm in charge of the second hand section at my shop so its worth having a look on there, we've got some nice stuff at the moment.

I have only just seen this sorry, I will have a look at your site thinking of upgrading soon as would like to record video etc.
I was talking to a photographer at a engagement do last week and he had a full frame camera and was explaining some bits to me, I think he was using a 5D.

Hey Jordan,
sorry for taking a whole month to reply! Been a bit hectic here and there! the thing with full frame on canon is you can use Full Frame lenses one crop sensors ( EF is full frame, EF-S is crop sensor ) but you cant use crop on full frame. the good thing about Ef lenses on a crop sensor is that you get a little more magnification, around 1.6x, so a telephoto is a little more powerful and a prime 50mm is closer to an 85mm which is really nice for portraits and easy to use because of the space between you and the subject.
In regards to buying a second hand lens, if you buy it from us over the phone, then we give 14 days no quibble, so if you dont like it, all you've got to do is pay postage back and you get the lens money back. I work mondays, wednesdays, thursdays, saturdays and sundays on 01905 22314. You can ring and ask for me on that and I'll give you any advice you need!
Personally, if you find a lens on Ebay etc. with a warranty on it, then thats better! second hand does go wrong sometimes and it can be costly. I've seen a few 17-85mm's go a bit funny lately and its about as much as we sell them to repair, but dont let that stir you off second hand at all :D

Jordan said:
I have been looking at lens and noticed a lens on eBay a Canon EF-S 17-85mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM just wondering if anyone has got one and could give me some advice about buying lenses.
Currently I have 50mm lens 1.8 cracking little lens for the money, also have the standard kit lens and 35mm - 105mm 3.5 (this lens has seen better days.)
Any advice would be appreciated.
Hey buddy, that 50mm 1.8 is a top top lens fr the money. Had some great fun on my 550D with that before I sold it. I bought in to the Sigma 30mm 1.4 and had it calibrated by Sigma, absolutely love it. All depends on what your shooting though. I spent alot of time shooting my daughter indoors so needed something fast and normal.
Friend of mine has the 17-85mm. He gets some great shots from it, but he struggles a little when shooting lower light.....
What camera do you have?

Back