Business Card Design Critique

Xenonsoft

I've designed our business card shown below, wondered everyones thoughts on it, as I'm new to print design.

Both noobs and experienced designers opinions actively welcomed!

Thanks very much.

business_card304.png

Looks good, i'd move your name and details accross to left slightly and the telephone number and name needs to go back slightly to line up with email and web other than that looks good.

Good job there Fred.

Nice bright blue colours in that, just make sure you've designed it in CMYK or those blues could turn out a bit washed out if your artwork is RGB.

Cheers lads, helpful tips. I'll make sure it's in the right format, cheers Pixels.

Looks good, i'd move your name and details accross to left slightly and the telephone number and name needs to go back slightly to line up with email and web other than that looks good.
Thanks for the feedback Timmo. I lined it all up perfectly but I agree that it would probably look better for it to be lined up slightly differently, with the main vertical lines aligned. If you can understand that mouthful!

A little update:

Moved the Telephone Number accross, but didn't move it all to the left as I want it to be inline with Xenonsoft Studios, which is currently centered, so I'd have to increase the kerning.

If all you lad[ie]s think it would be better to move it accross then I'll bow to public pressure, as it's for the client and not for me.

business_card313.png

My thoughts

I think it's a little unbalanced.
You have a two blocks; one ranged right which has a headline which spans the width of the card and looks centred, the rest of the block has a smaller point size and remains ranged right.
You then have your telephone number block which is ranged left, which is then aligned to the headline.
So, your aligning is lost as there's not enough clarity/space between the blocks.
I'd suggest decreasing the point size of both blocks and nudging them to the right and to the left respectively to reduce/remove the slightly too large left and right hand margins. At the moment, it's all so large it may as well all be centred.

I'd also remove the black keyline from the top text and pull the graphic background down a little for legibility of the new white out text.
I'd also suggest shortening 'Telephone Number' to 'Telephone, Tel' or even 'T' to help tidy.
I'd also question having to keep 'Ltd' on there - save it for the letterhead.
Put the 'Web Creation...' text all on one line.

That'll do! :)

Make sure you have even margins all the way around your artwork too to help with the balance of it - the bottom text is creeping a little close to the edge. I personally would make sure all my artwork fell inside a 5mm safety zone, to avoid unwanted trimmage etc.

Yeah cheers Artgem. Agreed that I need to sort out the placement of the text, I'm working on it today.

This is the image without bleed, I'll add that afterwards.

Back