BHA - "Competition" Yet another chance for you designers to work for free...

The British Humanist Association, that I admire greatly has just posted:

"We are hosting the 2014 World Humanist Congress and we need some help! Are you into design? Do you fancy having a go at pitching an idea for branding the Congress? Want to see your design ideas used on teeshirts, merchandise, websites and much much more? Find details on how to pitch us your ideas here.... "

Read the details, and yes, it's a chance to send them your ideas with no payment, not even for the "winner"...

I've responded:
"I support the BHA but this is very poor behaviour. Don't insult peoples intelligence by pretending this is a competition. You want designers to pitch you ideas for free. Do you sit outside restaurants and ask chefs to throw you tasters for free? Do you ask solicitors to share their ideas on how they'd best defend you in court for free? No professional designer of any worth should touch this with a smelly stick. I expect better of the BHA."

If anyone shares my sentiment, perhaps visit https://www.facebook.com/humanism and leave your thoughts on the thread. If of course you want to spend your day working for nothing, fill your boots! (entry forms can be found at the same place.)

This worries me from their brief: "The copyright for the successful design concept submitted will remain with the British Humanist Association."

I'm kind of on the fence when it comes to charity requests. So many smaller ones rely completely on volunteers that shooting down their attempts at getting some design work done for free sometimes seems a little harsh. However, like you mentioned if they approached designers or studios directly, they'd be showing much more respect for the industry (plus they'd get a decent final outcome). I'd probably even consider doing it myself if they asked.

I blame Vistaprint! They've been telling the world that design and print is free/cheap for so long that people actually believe it and expect all designers to work for nothing.

I blame Vistaprint! They've been telling the world that design and print is free/cheap for so long that people actually believe it and expect all designers to work for nothing.

When I showed my dad my cards from Boss's awesome printing offer he said "That's expensive, you should have used Vistaprint, it's only £6..."

facepalm.jpg

The British Humanist Association behaving so badly? Truly, there is no God.

Eh? Oh, right...

Back