Best software for logo design?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But you can use any software that satisfies you. Even PS.
‘Even PS’. Get a grip. No you can’t.

I get so pissed off at this constant onslaught of misinformation. The blind leading the blind. Education exists for a reason.

It’s perfectly fine not to know something – after all, that’s why this place exists. It is definitely not fine to advise those same people, unless you absolutely know what you are talking about. Leave it to those who do – and there are enough of them around here.

I cannot tell you the amount of times I have had a client send across a logo as a 300px RGB jpeg taken from their website, wanting me to design them a 3m banner, et al. ‘That’s the biggest we have.’

Just to make things clear; Photoshop has no place in putting serious, professional, usable logos together.

‘Even PS’. Get a grip. No you can’t.

I get so pissed off at this constant onslaught of misinformation. The blind leading the blind. Education exists for a reason.

It’s perfectly fine not to know something – after all, that’s why this place exists. It is definitely not fine to advise those same people, unless you absolutely know what you are talking about. Leave it to those who do – and there are enough of them around here.

I cannot tell you the amount of times I have had a client send across a logo as a 300px RGB jpeg taken from their website, wanting me to design them a 3m banner, et al. ‘That’s the biggest we have.’

Just to make things clear; Photoshop has no place in putting serious, professional, usable logos together.

I agree. However, Photoshop has some vector tools, it can create Vector Shapes, Vector Masks and Text Layers. As long as you output directly from Photoshop from a saved PSD file it will be vector. However, placing your PSD in another programme like InDesign it will output as the set resolution (if placed at 100% - scaling of resolution will occur).

However, you can save your Vector based Photoshop file as a PDF and it will output fine as Vector.

As long as you stick to Vector Shapes, Vector Masks and Type Layers.

You can even do Spot Colours.

But should you do it? NOOOOOOOO!

I can do it because I know what I am doing! (or so I tell myself!)

To do what? I had to use CorelDraw in a job some years back and hated it.

CorelDraw is often used by a lot of signmaking companies. Probably due to the fact that the machines they bought were designed to be used with CorelDraw in some sort of deal or partnership and they never moved on.

Hence, the machines and the users are tied to CorelDraw.

Of course, generalising a lot, CorelDraw is similar to Illustrator and used by a lot of people in different fields, posters, character design etc.

It's similar to Illustrator but different.

My sister learned CorelDraw and tried to show me a few things - and vice versa - neither of us liked the different tools and preferred what we learned in.

However, you can save your Vector based Photoshop file as a PDF and it will output fine as Vector.
Indeed, but as you say, you have to know what are doing. Also, it is begging for logos in the wrong hands (who arguably, shouldn’t be doing them anyway) to end up with all sorts of gradients and drop shadows, etc. Never a good plan with logos at the best of times.

Indeed, but as you say, you have to know what are doing. Also, it is begging for logos in the wrong hands (who arguably, shouldn’t be doing them anyway) to end up with all sorts of gradients and drop shadows, etc. Never a good plan with logos at the best of times.

100% agree.

Someone would open that PDF in Illustrator - a STRICT NO NO!

Actually, people who treat Illustrator as PDF editor, in general, bug me. You should only open a PDF in the program it was created in.

For instance, you can save a PDF from Photoshop with editing compatibility.
Similarly, you can do this for PDFs from Illustrator.

But you can't open them in the other programs.

And people that just blindly open Page Layout PDFs in Illustrator bug the shit out of me, unless it was designed in Illustrator and the PDF is an Illustrator PDF then you can open it.

But Illustrator is not and I repeat, NOT, a PDF editor.

First of all, I'm already aware of what softwares like "PS" and "Corel" really do. PS is a raster-based software and Corel is vector-based software. Using Ps to create a logo is unwise unless you don't want the vector version of the logo.
Second, according to a few GD lessons/articles written by well-known designers, using Corel to create logos seem OK no matter what you think. Illustrator does it better but yet there's NOTHING wrong with using a vector-based software like Corel, specially if you are unfamiliar with Illus.

As a mentor, I always let the trainees know THE REAL function of any software, before i teach them how to use the software. For those who want to learn GD softwares, PS could be a starting point.

hated it.

I say it again: "use any software that you feel satisfied with"

It's absolutely insane I've been saying for the last 20 years to not do logos in Photoshop - and it still comes up.

What has to happen?

Truth is, you can design your logo in anything you like. My first logo I did in MS Paint pixel by pixel, and you know what it worked. And when they needed a larger version I recreated it pixel by pixel at larger sizes.

So - anyway - there's no right or wrong way to do it.
But there are smart ways to work and not so smart ways to work.

Always work smart, don't work hard! Build it in Vector and if you need to embellish it in photoshop then bring it in there and do it if you need it.

But there is no right or wrong way. As long as you're happy.

But for the sake of the argument - it's best to create it in a vector application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back