best practice for embedding images (or not)

lauralil

Hi all,

I'm designing some rather large artwork with multiple images. They are PSD files around 15MB, and there are 3 of them.

I'm using Illustrator by the way

When it comes to printing should I embed the files or include them in the folder? What is best practice?

Thanks

Laura :icon_smile:

I'm on the fence here. I like it when I'm not required to relink images, but sometimes I'm required to tweak images in photoshop, therefore supplying the images separately makes it a quicker process for editing. But this can still be achieved after embedding anyway, it's just me being lazy.:icon_tongue_smilie:

Me too. I like the images linked - simply because I then have a smaller file size to work with, plus having the links supplied with the file makes it easier to do any corrections required (not artwork alterations, but stuff for print). There's nothing like dealing with an enormous illustrator file :icon_smile:.

It's up to you though, and I'd ask your printer what they prefer.

Linking whilst designing makes more sense as you would be able to edit the images in PS at any time and they would update in the ai file. All you need to do is to save a pdf copy as well before sending it to the printers.

Print ready PDF is the norm these days, but there are still some old schools about that like it all collected or output for print. There are also places out there that haven't a clue, I used to work at one.*

It can also boil down to how the documents are being supplied, if sent over the interweb then PDF is the best option, but if being sent on a dvd or memory stick, it doesn't hurt to just stick all the other stuff on as well. It may save time in the long run if there are any problems.

*They would tell clients to supply everything in spot colour, even though we couldn't print anything but process, and then tell the client we could match the spot colour.

Clients could even supply a disk with the artwork for a four drop system with two end caps, (roughly 3788mm x 2800mm) on an A4 page in Quark. The client would be told they were getting top grade materials when really they were the cheapest they could find.

I may be old school in this respect, but if I was telling a client I was using a specific process or stock I don't think I could then do completely the opposite and just hope not to be found out.

Back