Autocad files?

Hello

I have a client who has sent me DWG & DXF vector files (which can be imported into that program for further development).

I would like to open and edit in Illustrator, however even though Illustrator has these file formats as an option when opening, I cannot open them.

Does anyone have any experience of using autocads files in Illustrator?

many thanks
Joanne

Found this response to a similar question....

You need to save it to an old DWG format, like AutoCAD 2000 or something. My understanding as far as Illustrator is concerned is that it's just not compatible with DWG files produced by more recent applications. If you have a recent version of AutoCAD, use a Save As to save it as an older version.

Hope it helps.

P.S: If this works or you do indeed find a solution take the time to let us know.

Found this response to a similar question....

You need to save it to an old DWG format, like AutoCAD 2000 or something. My understanding as far as Illustrator is concerned is that it's just not compatible with DWG files produced by more recent applications. If you have a recent version of AutoCAD, use a Save As to save it as an older version.

Hope it helps.

P.S: If this works or you do indeed find a solution take the time to let us know.

Hi again!

That did the trick and I can now open the files.

Thanks
Joanne

You can also drag the DWG file into acrobat distiller, save it as a pdf then drag the pdf into illustrator if you are unable to back save the autocad file.

Back