Authors' Amends Charges

Jackcat

Hiya

A couple of questions from a newbie if I may:

Can anyone point me in the direction of a guide - on-line or printed - to setting charges/hourly rates for design (for print) and authors amends?

Is it standard to have a minimum charge (ours is 15 mins) for processing authors amends? How would you explain the rationale for this to a client who has taken to giving us just a few amends at a time, lots (and lots!) of times, on a single project, editing as he goes, and expecting us to do them all free of charge, and on-the-spot, on the grounds that "it only takes a few seconds of your time each time, so you can't justify charging me 15 mins each time!" I sort of see where he's coming from, but this started after we pointed out to him that on his last project he spent more on authors' amends than on the original design and artworking! We're in-house so can't refuse to work for him, and it's a high profile publication, but we have to recover our running costs too, and also have a duty to spend our organisation's money wisely.

We have another client who wants us to quote all inclusive, including processing all authors amends, but won't specify how many we might have to make. Any advice on how to handle this one too?

TIA

Jackcat

Back