Are we born designers?

l_evernden

With the increase of people trying to become designers, why do some people design better work than others, even with the same education?
It poses the idea of nature vs nurture.
Are we born with the ability to design, is it the way we think or is it purely on the way which we are taught?
Any ideas and thoughts would be great.

I think some people are born with a certain visual sense/ability while others, like me, are probably borderline autistic and consequently notice/obsess over certain things like patterns and layouts. In short, there's probably some kind of neurological explanation for my inability to understand or add up a column of figures and my aptitude for making it look nice.

We are all born with talents - eg. some are artistic or musical or athletic. Everyone can learn to draw or paint or design or play an instrument or sing or run or swim or jump etc. But those with real talent can do it exceptionally well and sometimes without the training.

Take a look at that young 6 or 7 year lad who can paint like a professional (Pictured: Incredible watercolour paintings by boy aged just SIX | Mail Online)

With training and the right attitude (that is believing you can do it) most people, for example, can draw reasonably well. I taught Art for 5 years and only found one who really didn't get it.

With the increase of people trying to become designers, why do some people design better work than others, even with the same education?
It poses the idea of nature vs nurture.
Are we born with the ability to design, is it the way we think or is it purely on the way which we are taught?
Any ideas and thoughts would be great.

Forget about nature vs nurture it's all about proteins! :) We used to say it's in the genes, then it was the DNA but further studies show that more than anything else, proteins are the most influencing factor over all things.

We are not born with the ability to walk or talk so No we are not born with the ability to design, it is all learned.

How we learn and how we apply what we learn has it's restrictions for everyone and this isn't something that effects design only, it is this way with all things. There are different levels, there always has been and always will be. Some people are faster, stronger, better at maths, more creative etc.

the morale is: dont's waste your proteins on wanking and put them to work for a good cause, developing your talents :D

I think tezdread is talking about proteins surrounding (and affecting) our genes. . . and the effect that the life your grandparents had when they were children. See Why everything you've been told about evolution is wrong | Science | The Guardian. . . if you really want to read about it. Interesting article though.

Yep that's about it, I read something else but that is a very good article on the subject

socreative said:
the morale is: dont's waste your proteins on wanking and put them to work for a good cause, developing your talents :D

lol good point

Back