Apple Wireless Mouse

hankscorpio

Staff member
Got a new iMac that came with a fancy new mouse, wireless.

However, the battery gets low about every 2 weeks. That's no problem. But the new mouse has a connection underneath for the cable. And once plugged in it's useless and doesn't work, and can't work due to it's design as it's plugged in underneath.

That's ok - although a stupid design.

My main gripe is - and perhaps someone knows how - I only get a warning when it's at 2%.

Can I change this to warn me when it's at 10% or 20% or anything else other than it's nearly dead?

quick google suggests you can use apple script....

I know how you feel about warnings for mice/keyboard, MS is just as bad, I get a warning pretty much just 'as it runs out'....

First of all congrats on your new iMac! It's a nice view from up here isn't it? :p

Secondly, no way should your mouse be getting low every two weeks!?! Did you get the standard wireless Bluetooth mouse that comes with most iMacs, that require a couple of AA batteries? If so, I've got in the habit of turning off my mouse every night but even if I leave it on 24/7 (like I used to) it still lasts way beyond 2 weeks. I'm guessing Apple may have a new mouse that I'm not aware of due to your cable connection description.

As for the %, I believe I get a warning once it gets below 20%, I haven't come across a way to change when you receive that warning but at 2%, that is not much of a warning.

Ugh ... apple script ... I'm not confident on me using that correctly.

Yes, this mouse takes no batteries.

It's a stupid design that it cannot be used when plugged in.

First thing I did when I got my iMac was bin the Magic Mouse and plugged in a cheapo Microsoft USB one. I don't have a fix for you, just came here to express my hatred for Apple mice.

^ Interesting, I can't stand cable connections when they're not necessary, the less cables the better imo. The only thing I have connected via a cable is my Infinity as you can't beat a cable (ethernet) connection for internet speeds. Oh and obviously my iMac is plugged into the mains via it's cable :D

Yes, much prefer a technical mouse, tactile with actual buttons and a wheel, buttons loaded on the side for going forward and back.

I might just get one.

My main issue was the battery life and the lack of control/precision I felt I had with the touch mouse. I prefer buttons, I was constantly swiping left and right or zooming in and out because of that horrible glass surface.

Sidenote - I have a Razer mouse that I use for my PC that I love. It's wireless and I haven't had to replace the batteries yet, and it's been about a year since I got it.

I actually use a gaming mouse. It's corded, but mainly because I also use it on my PC for gaming. Don't want to be replacing batteries when you should be doing something else!

Ah ok. I find with everyday use, the batteries in my mouse lasts for around a couple months. That's 100+ hours a week of it being on. Although I do buy Duracell...

Saying that, if you have / use a tablet, then you don't need a mouse at all!

Decent quality rechargables are the way to go, I get around 4 weeks of 8 hours a day use for a pair if Duracell rechargables (2,400mAh)

yeah the new magic mouse design is stupid. Who decided to use the lighting charger then place it under the unit? The recon it takes 2 hours to charge to full and should last 2 month. Also 2 mins charge should last the day....... i don't believe them lol so i'll stick with the older on that uses AA batteries lol

Back