Any Wordpress Experts here?

spottypenguin

Hey everyone

I was trying to change my theme earlier and other tidying up and WP was asking me to update to 3... blah blah whatever it is now. Anyhow it crashed half way through and has sodded up access to my wp admin area. I have asked my hosts for a restore to yestersay but if anyone knows how t sort this:

"Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 262144 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 77824 bytes) in /customers/spottypenguin.com/spottypenguin.com/httpd.www/wp-admin/includes/dashboard.php on line 570 "

I would be grateful.

Thankfully my main site is running OK

Cheers

Also forgot to mention my hosts managed to disable plug-ins (via sql) and rolled me back to the defualt theme. Alternatively of you know how to copy entire wordpress from one domain to another, i could happily move my main site to spotty then edit accordingly.

Cheers again

Looks like a PHP memory allocation issue to me. Most hosts run a default of around 32MB (64 if you are lucky) but you need to check.

Speak to your hosts if you don't have enough grunt to run WP and your plug-ins and see if you can get it upped. That might be a problem on shared hosting though.

Thanks for that. It had been working perfectly well until the wp upgrade stuck half way. I have emailed them so we'll see what's what.

Thanks for that. It had been working perfectly well until the wp upgrade stuck half way. I have emailed them so we'll see what's what.

I have had similar problems running Drupal on shared hosting in the past but with a LOT of plug-ins running. You are right, it does seem odd that the problem only occurs now.

Well I just did a manual upgrade via ftp and I have dashboard access and all my content there (albeit needs sorting). I can only think the failed upgrade screwed with the settings hey ho.

Don't suppose you know how to copy an entire wp site between domains?

Cheers again

Don't suppose you know how to copy an entire wp site between domains?

Domains or hosting? Different process...

Domains will involve changing some of the config files to match the new URL but hosting should just be a process of exporting the database through PHPmyadmin, importing it into the new hosting (making sure usernames, passwords etc are the same) and then copying the files across.

To a new/different domain, different hosts.

Also does:

"Theme installed successfully.
Warning: fopen(/customers/spottypenguin.com/spottypenguin.com/httpd.www/wp-content/themes/photonexus/style.css): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /customers/spottypenguin.com/spottypenguin.com/httpd.www/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4339 Warning: fread() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /customers/spottypenguin.com/spottypenguin.com/httpd.www/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4342 Warning: fclose() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /customers/spottypenguin.com/spottypenguin.com/httpd.www/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4345 "

Any idea what that is about? style sheet failure?

style sheet failure?

Sounds nasty...

The thing about PHP is that, if your error handling is set to kill (rather than stun), you'll get warnings about pretty much everything! Very useful in development as it helps warn you about potential security weaknesses but not great in a production website.

This sounds like it couldn't find the stylesheet for your theme. Is it where it says it should be?

should be, I mean it works perfectly well on my main site and no error message etc.

the only thing that changed last night was their chat techy person requested me to change something in the wp_config from false to true to identity any errors

the only thing that changed last night was their chat techy person requested me to change something in the wp_config from false to true to identity any errors

Oh right, he's advised you well to get your error warning messages for debugging but you should change it back to false for a production site.

Could I pick your brains again please?

In the end i cleared my public_html and re-installed wp afresh. All is fine apart from images aren't showing (yep they are inserted right) but when you click on "view-image" you get this

http://spottypenguin.com/wp-content...loads/2011/08/Viper.jpg&h=550&w=730&zc=0&q=72

Any ideas?? :icon_scared:

Wow, that's getting a little further into PHP world. From a brief read it looks like the function used was deprecated for PHP5+. Again, just a warning so change your error handling back and see what happens.

The problem with switching hosts is that every one has slightly different Apache and php setups. The OP seems to have switched from one running an oldish version to one running php 5.3, but probably with stricter memory restrictions. Or something like that, you'd have to compare different php.ini settings to know exactly, not to mention the Apache configuration.

Moral - look before you leap. Find out just what the differences are before you make a change. And prepare and be prepared for the worst. Keep test sites and update them before you do anything to a production site, and have a reserve theme up your sleeve. I strongly recommend running a XAMPP setup on your home computer and matching its parameters to those of the host, it's easier than it sounds.

From a brief read it looks like the function used was deprecated for PHP5+.
Yup, eregi, disappeared with 5.3, see How to fix 'Function eregi() is deprecated' in PHP 5.3.0 using preg_match | takien, not taken for hints on how to get round it, if you don't mind getting your hands dirty with code.

Thanks for that guys but I haven't changed hosts or moved anything YET. I was just wondering about the viability of copying one site to another.

My host techs seem to think that a timthumb.php is pointing at the wrong place but I have checked the code and it isn't. It's doubley odd since this theme / sewt up works perfectly on my other (main) site

Back