Any Suggestions?

desi

Hi all,

I was wondering how would you would interact with the sentence :

Arrange a group of lines, shapes and words in a way that will shake the foundations of society.

What do you think is the best way to express this in a piece or any other kind of presenting.

Thankss :))

Is this for some kind of college/uni brief? :icon_wink:

I think the power would come from your choice of words. The words people are least likely to want to hear in many cases would be the truth. So possibly an awkward truth or some kind, or maybe a truth that society would perhaps prefer not to know?

Once I had the words/statement sorted, I could try and position them with shapes/lines in a fitting manner.

Oh, and I'd avoid all references to 9/11, since to me that really seems like an obvious (and easy) choice.

Draw the classic Beck's London Underground map.

Arrange a group of lines, shapes and words.
Yes

in a way that will shake the foundations of society.
Yes (society = buildings)

Sounds like a brilliant little typographic/compositional project to me. Wish I'd have had something like this to do at uni.

'shake the foundations of society' - to me, they're asking you to come up with something that people can discuss, argue or debate about, something that people will have very different opinions of.

I'd think of something that people have mixed feelings and emotions of, and try and put it into words.

Perhaps subjects like, abortion, religion, euthanasia, heck, even aliens.

Yeah it is a brief, a really interesting one and I was thinking about how language affects society and in what ways, but now sure how to go further.

Hey desi, yep language barriers certainly play their part in societal issues but when you expand on that thought you naturally and inevitably have to tackle racism - that in itself could be its own typographical project - and a huge one at that.

I think ARRIVALS has pointed you in a good direction with contentious issues. Language but more specifically dialects could certainly play a part :icon_thumbup:

Religion is a good one, but then it is tricky how I would present it as an idea and a piece.
I kind of like the idea of the aliens as well, I think it would be intriguing :)

How would you represent religion?? You're kidding right? Arabic fonts, Olde English styles, Hebrew, various glyphs that are assocaited and so on

Combine religion and aliens? Scientologists...they're fun. Lol.

Not sure they'd be so fun if you were being stalked by them, which is actually what happens to people who publicly speak out against them.

May be best to steer clear of them. :icon_biggrin:

Chef wasn't, but Issac Hayes who voiced him was.

That's why he left South Park, because they started poking fun at Scientology.

Back