Any student designers on here?

area62

Is there any student designers either still studying or just finished a design course on here? if so contact me or send me an email, i might be able to help you out. thanks

Hi,

No a friend of mine has set up a design company that helps students enhance there portfolio working on small/medium businesses freelance briefs.All briefs are paid, and they are looking for students to sign up to the site. If i'm allowed to post the url i will do?, not sure about forum rules?

Thanks

Is there any student designers either still studying or just finished a design course on here? if so contact me or send me an email, i might be able to help you out. thanks

Hellooooo,

I am a student designer...how can you help exactly?

:icon_smile:

Had a PM from the OP about this a couple of days ago.

It appears that students have to pay an "anual fee" of £9.99 then magically you get people coming to you looking for work which needs done. I don't think I will be taking part...

Had a PM from the OP about this a couple of days ago.

It appears that students have to pay an "anual fee" of £9.99 then magically you get people coming to you looking for work which needs done. I don't think I will be taking part...

"annual" fee - lolage. Its not about magically getting people coming to you looking for work, the designers who set this up are established graphic designers, who have worked in the business for a while, built up a great client base and due to on one of the partners having a baby, there workload is too much, hence them setting this company up. They had a good database of clients that contact them with specific briefs/projects not always the biggest, i.e flyer design or a logo design, but all paid, and are aimed at students to help them enhance there design portfolio. If you don't want to take part lolage don't, but lets not slag the company off when they don't come on here to explain themselves and clearly you dont know anything about them.

If these established graphic designers need people to take on their work why on earth would people pay them to do that! Especially students and especially when there are so many sites like this that you don't have to pay anything for. Also if the designers are going to pay the students to do projects then what is the point in getting £10 off them just to pay it back? Sounds very odd to me.

And also the website is using a theme, or at least looks very very much like one.
And there seems to be little if not no projects.

How many students have actually signed up for this then?

:icon_lol:

This sounds like a similar set up to those companies who take money from teenage girls promising to make them the next top model but never actually finding them any work.

Students, If a 3rd party / agent genuinely has work for you they will take a % of your income from each job. Giving them money up front removes any incentive they have to represent you.

If you've got £10 and want help, take me for a pint or two and I'll tell you all about how to find freelance work.

Ebevington - I think you have got the wrong end of the stick, the idea behind it is, local businesses who need for example a flyer designing as a one off, sign up to the website, they are then put in touch with student designers who are wanting to enhance there portfolio whilst earning at the same time, i was given the impression that the client who posts the brief pays the student, not the company themselves, therefore the £10 subscription fee is there for setup, advertising, marketing costs to encourage local businesses to use them, as for the website, im not sure how it was put together but although not my taste, it serves the purpose, as for how many students have signed up, apparently they are doing quite well to say they have started last month and running it around colleges / universities. As for how many projects do they have on, again, sorry i dont know, you have to register to see all the projects they have though.

Bigdave - Not sure about the Next top model comment, but sound like you might have had a bad experience with them?. I think there ethics are genuinely right and are trying to help students move on and help there career, whats so wrong with that? Im sure no promises are made but the opprtunity of enhancing there portfolio would have been of interest to me as a student. As for the % of any work, i do know as i have used them for a brief, no % is taken at all, once the subscription fee is paid, the students get whatever the agreed price with the client is.

I've never been approached by a modeling agency, do you think I've got what it takes? I worry that I'm perhaps a bit old for it now but hey! I'm game if you are!?...

I could take £10 off 1000 students on the understanding that I'll canvass local businesses to find work for them, pop a £100 ad in the paper (but not the news of the world) then do nothing. I've stuck to my side of the bargain, I've made the best part of ten grand and bugger the students.

All I'm saying is that it's an age old scam that takes money from the vulnerable (in this case design students) on the promise of 'the dream' and that dream never materialises.

This whole project (regardless of it's good intentions or otherwise) has too many pitfalls for the student to get nothing or worse still get burned.

Im sure you can, you still have something to offer in the modelling world lol, only a matter of time until you get noticed im sure.

I see what your saying regarding the money aspect, but knowing the owners personally and having worked freelance for them before, they aren't like that. And i know it's not a scam, they are trying to get it to work correctly, although some setups like this, yes i agree are scams.

This forum is about opinions i accept that, but as i state i hope it does work for them, AND the students gain some experience, contacts and produce work for there portfolio.I cant see how students would get burned, the worst they would get is losing a tenner, but still recieve briefs for there portfolio whether the client chooses the site or not. Just out of interest is there any other design companies you know of like this?

cheers

Hi,

No a friend of mine has set up a design company that helps students enhance there portfolio working on small/medium businesses freelance briefs.All briefs are paid, and they are looking for students to sign up to the site. If i'm allowed to post the url i will do?, not sure about forum rules?

Thanks

Hi

I have finished a couple of week ago and looking for some freelance work please =)

Back