Any advice - rebrand for PR company

Airlie

Hi there,
I'm new to the forum and am hoping to get some advice from branding/graphic design/corporate ID gurus on here!

I am a sole trader running a PR company. I've been trading under Warrilow PR since starting up a year ago. Warrilow being my surname.

I want to rebrand because I feel that using my surname can make me look small (even though it is just me!), it's a little blah, and also the fact that it's an unusual name and hard to pronounce can put people off!

I have a few ideas in the pipeline, very much along the lines of Dadaism and the concept of chance - ie, two random words brought together that don't necessarily mean something specific.

I want my company name to illustrate what my business is about - lots of enthusiasm and imagination, creative, experienced, professional - something different, a better approach.

Really, I'm interested on your thoughts on moving away from Warrilow PR, do you share my thoughts on this?

The problem I have with regards to a new logo and branding is that I know what I like style wise - David Carson and Neville Brody are both favourites of mine - but I don't know how to communicate what I want style wise to a designer. I've been scared off because I tried once, in loads of detail and what I got back was awful!!

Any advice, hints, tips, guidance very gratefully received.

First off, welcome to the Graphic Design Forums :icon_smile:

Not really my area of expertise, however, the problem I see with "Warrilow PR" is from a domain name/online point of view. For example, I expect if you asked 5 people to spell "Warrilow PR" you would get a few different spellings, meaning you may be difficult to find online.

As you mentioned, maybe look for something that is much easier to pronounce/spell, obviously another point to take into consideration is whether the domain name for your new chosen business name is available.

Hope that helps a bit, others will be along with some ideas shortly.

I understand that you're worried about seeming small, plus, you're using a name that you've grown used to. However a lot of businesses make the mistake of wanting to appear large and 'professional' when it's not necessary. Before you commit to change, try looking at things from a different perspective. Why do your clients use you? I'd put money on it being the fact that you're a small company with a focus on client relations and customer service.

Using a name as your corporate ID makes you sound like an established business. Your clients feel like they're getting a personal service when they speak to Ms Warrilow herself. You can take it a step further, for example adding a second name that has links to your industry, or taking your mother's maiden name (Warrilow & Morley for example). By simply refining your identity, you've already created the impression of an established, professional agency on name alone.

Changing your image to stay on the bleeding edge can be dangerous, you could end up having to re-brand 5 years down the line because your look has become dated. If you do want to establish a new identity though, a Thesaurus is a great place to start.

That said, I'll have a think this afternoon and if anything springs to mind, I'll post it later on.

Pete

Hello. I agree with the difficulty in spelling your name (as much as I like it).
I personally think using your name is good (as I do for my company!) as it puts YOU and your reputation right on the line and doesn't conjur up images of some massive PR company by calling it MINT or ABSOLUTE or something.
(This is discussed somewhere else on this forum as I remember - do you use your own name or something generic.)
Do people know YOU and would wonder where your company went if you began to trade under another name?
Is your company particularly funky and contemporary? Would calling it 'WARLOWS' be too cosy? Perhaps the test is 'Shall I call x at Warlows?' or 'Shall we get Warlows in to look at this?'

I also like the 'W's bookending what could become your logo? (Which I'd be happy to look at for you...)

Does that help?

Back