Advice please

SJG_4

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some advice on how to get into Graphic Design. I have an Artist's background - I studied Fine Art at uni. At this moment in time, I do not have any experience in Graphic Design but really want to get into the field. I do not want to go back to uni and study another degree but am perfectly willing to take courses. Does anyone have any ideas/tips for me?

Thanks so much,

Sophie

Hi Paul,

Thanks for replying. I have looked into this course and it's extremely expensive so for me it's a no no.

Thanks again though.

Sophie

Yeah, it seems like a lot to pay, especially considering you don't get a degree at the end of it. Where abouts in the country are you located?

At the risk of devaluing what graphic design is, you could attempt to teach yourself. There's a lot of self-teaching involved anyway, at least on my course.

I know a few people on here are self-taught and are doing ok for themselves. You already have a degree in Fine Art, which I imagine would come in useful in some way (composition, colour, line, shape, texture, etc).

There's a lot of self-teaching involved anyway.

If school is not an option your best bet would be to go to lynda.com and start watching craploads of tutorials to get yourself familiar with the adobe suite.

Afterwords just make yourself a portfolio and go from there. Of course in this economy not sure if many employers would give any attention to someone who has no schooling. But before I even started school I had myself a graphic design interview lined up just from the knowledge I obtained from watching the videos.

Thanks for your advice, guys. I guess I could do an MA in Graphic Design - this, of course, is also expensive but only lasts a year and might be wise. I am worried that I might even struggle to get on an MA course, though, as my portfolio only contains drawings and paintings - no computer, design work at all. What do you make of this? Would an MA be a good idea for me?

Sophie

If you're going to pay to do an MA, it's probably better to invest in something that will be effective across a range of disciplines, rather than simply graphic design. I've heard a lot of talk of designers taking business management degrees for example, which is much more attractive to a potential employer (useful if you want to work up the ladder at an agency for example), and obviously comes in useful if you decide to go self-employed or start your own company.

I guess it could depend on how naturally design comes to you, some people can do very well by being self taught, others need the full intensive degree course to get them understanding the rules (and then breaking them!). I have a friend who went from a fine art background straight into graphic design and is now freelance and successful, so it is do-able, but he was chuffin amazing at anything creative, just one of those people.

Could we see some examples of you fine art work maybe? Perhaps if it is illustrative work you could look at becoming an illustrator rather than graphic designer. At least then you won't need to know as much about software such as InDesign and Quark (but Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop would certainly help) or typography and grids etc.

Artwork

My art work is a mixture of realistic paintings to pop art and abstract pieces. I've never done anything on computers before but I learn very fast and have always had an eye for design, layouts and presentation. How easy is it to build up a portfolio from scratch?!

Without sounding big-headed, I really do feel I could do well in this field but I really just do not fancy going back to uni again.

Thanks again,

Sophie

My art work is a mixture of realistic paintings to pop art and abstract pieces. I've never done anything on computers before but I learn very fast and have always had an eye for design, layouts and presentation. How easy is it to build up a portfolio from scratch?!

Without sounding big-headed, I really do feel I could do well in this field but I really just do not fancy going back to uni again.

Thanks again,

Sophie

That's your problem right there. What makes you think you could do really well in this field? You think it's just about making pretty pictures? Why do you think most of us trained for three or four years to even get a toehold in the industry? You can't self teach, you can't just muddle through. "You've never done anything on computers." Then what makes you think you'd be good at graphic design? It's more competitive than ever out there and employers want people with proper training. You won't get onto an MA course in Graphic design without having done a BA. If you can draw, that's a great starting point. If you're creative, even better. But you need to know at least some of the basics before you can do this. Would you consider going into, say, car design, without any further training? Or product design? Or furniture design?

Rant over. :icon_Wall:

Or architecture? That's just designing houses....

Come on anyone with a computer and Publisher is a 'graphic artist' nowadays...!!

Back