Advice on finding work experience in film?

Nb1299

Hi guys,

I’m currently completing my BA in Graphic Communication Design at Central Saint Martins and very keen on pursuing a career in film/TV as a graphic designer.

This might be the wrong place to ask as I’m not sure anyone here is working in film, however do you have any tips on finding such work experience? I’ve been trying to research these things for a while but I don’t know why that part of the industry feels so secretive - there are hardly any valuable resources available.

How would I get my foot in the door? Do I just browse certain job listing sites hoping for opportunities? Should I try cold-calling production companies directly? Should I contact supervising art directors? I’m honestly lost and would be so grateful if anyone has advice to share.

Thank you!

My knowledge of this area is second hand. One of my oldest friends has worked in vfx for years at a pretty high level. It’s a tough world, but there is a good living to be made from it, if you get to the work with the big boys. I also have a niece who works in it.

The trouble, right now, is that because of this Covid lark, companies are shedding things that affect their bottom line and that includes employees! It is very tough at the moment.

However, don’t let that stop you. Get as strong a showreel as you can and then contact the people you want to work for. It is a fairly small world, so I don’t think jobs get advertised generally. They get filled by contacts and networking. My niece is very talented, but she pushed and got herself internships in various companies and eventually got picked up by one of the big ones and ended up working On an animation for a recent TV series, to great acclaim. They won a BAFTA for it – then she got laid off. I am sure it will all come back again, but you need to get yourself under the noses of the people you have a passion to work with and convince them why you should. You will likely have to do some internships, but as you are in London anyway, you have an advantage.

As I say, just get your showreel as polished as you can and target the people you want to see it personally.

Do you have a showreel, you could link to. I’d be interested to see it?

Good luck.

My knowledge of this area is second hand. One of my oldest friends has worked in vfx for years at a pretty high level. It’s a tough world, but there is a good living to be made from it, if you get to the work with the big boys. I also have a niece who works in it.

The trouble, right now, is that because of this Covid lark, companies are shedding things that affect their bottom line and that includes employees! It is very tough at the moment.

However, don’t let that stop you. Get as strong a showreel as you can and then contact the people you want to work for. It is a fairly small world, so I don’t think jobs get advertised generally. They get filled by contacts and networking. My niece is very talented, but she pushed and got herself internships in various companies and eventually got picked up by one of the big ones and ended up working On an animation for a recent TV series, to great acclaim. They won a BAFTA for it – then she got laid off. I am sure it will all come back again, but you need to get yourself under the noses of the people you have a passion to work with and convince them why you should. You will likely have to do some internships, but as you are in London anyway, you have an advantage.

As I say, just get your showreel as polished as you can and target the people you want to see it personally.

Do you have a showreel, you could link to. I’d be interested to see it?

Good luck.

Thanks so much for your post. It’s unfortunate they let your niece go but amazing her team won a BAFTA - that’s the dream! Also, yeah, I’d imagine COVID’s messed everything up for a while. Always worth a try anyway.

I’m polishing up my portfolio as we speak - would it be alright if I messaged you when it’s ready? Maybe you’d have some feedback for me.

Thanks again for your insight, I really appreciate it.

Back