about Paypal "website payments pro"

DaveGears86

- A client is looking to sell 500 of his shops products online (minimum)
- He has a business bank account etc.
- He understands paypal (which helps when it comes to logging in and transferring his money to his bank etc)

Now, I know that the paypal pro service costs £20 a month, obviously he will be paying this from his paypal business account.

But how difficult is it to code?
(payments standard is easy, cut/paste html etc, but pro works differently, how?)

- Also, the client has "personal arrangements" with a fair number of his returning customers (client 'A' gets a 10% discount, client 'B' gets 12% discount, client 'C' gets 15% discount etc.) - My solution for this is to create a "voucher code" for each % and email the respected code to the appropriate clients. (ensuring that they get their discount online in the same way as they currently do over the phone).
Would this work? the codes would need to be valid practically forever. and there would need to be approximately 15 codes to represent each %.

I have called paypal and attempted to ask these questions but they won't entertain me because I won't provide business details

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Dave, I genuinely think that you need to look at an 'out of the box' e-commerce platform for this project. Everything would then have everything you need built in and you could use Paypal integration for payments.

thanks for replying,

For customers to pay by paypal is not really necessary (credit and debit cards are more of a priority), but yes if easily done then a paypal option can be a payment option.

I've found a uk based e-commerce platform - eCommerce Software & Online Shop Solutions - BLUEPARK.co.uk

Would this be the sort of thing you mean?

out of curiosity, why would you not recommend paypal? (I want to know the evil truth) lol

Nothing wrong with Paypal as such it is just going to involve a fair amount of programming to get a slick e-comm experience for client and customer. Also, if you use their 'add to cart' buttons or whatever you'll not have the best you can get in terms of stock control etc. I'd say straight Paypal is 100 products absolute max. Then you may as well use a proper store solution.

That one you have picked looks pretty good and we use Prestashop. Magento is another decent one as well.

There's OpenCart as well which I've heard is really good. E-Commerce is something I'm still looking into myself.

Before now I've been recommended to use this - RomanCart - Shopping Cart and Internet Marketing Software
It's obviously not as customisable as a platform, but does get the job done.

Nothing wrong with Paypal as such it is just going to involve a fair amount of programming to get a slick e-comm experience for client and customer. Also, if you use their 'add to cart' buttons or whatever you'll not have the best you can get in terms of stock control etc. I'd say straight Paypal is 100 products absolute max. Then you may as well use a proper store solution.

That one you have picked looks pretty good and we use Prestashop. Magento is another decent one as well.

Thanks Corrosive, Ideally what I want is a system thats hosted and not have to use the clients mysql web-hosting database.

There's OpenCart as well which I've heard is really good. E-Commerce is something I'm still looking into myself.

Thanks Tony, It can be a bit of a headache finding the right cart solution for a client with various personal discount requirements. If he didn't have so many personal deals with certain individuals then it'd be much easier as one price fits all, regardless of who you are.

I should have clarified -

What I want is an option which requires no involvement with the websites control panel.
These platforms are brilliant for customisation but they all involve using the mysql database on the clients web hosting provider.

Not ever used a hosted solution so I'm fresh outta ideas I'm afraid. Keep us posted though, very interested to hear about what you choose and how you get on with it :icon_thumbup:

Integrating payments

Good afternoon!

I hope you won't mind a non-designer popping his head in here. I read DaveGears86 message on Twitter and thought I might be able to help.

Given the relative inexperience I would suggest that using a standard shopping cart with integrated payment solution is the right choice. Since you initially asked about PayPal I would guess that PayPal integrates, relatively easily, with all the carts mentioned.

Now the pitch. Given the opportunity I hope you will consider Nochex as an alternative to PayPal. We're a UK based company and we do integrate with all of the shopping carts mentioned, with the exception of bluepark, though I'm sure we could! We also have an integration team to help people setting up shopping carts. Also, given that this sounds like a start-up merchant you might like to consider that Nochex don't tie you into an extended contract and we don't charge recurring monthly or annual fees. Merchants and Sellers pay just 2.9% + 20p per transaction. Oh, and introducers to our service can earn a commission. Apologies for the ramp, but just trying to spread the word a little!

Anyway, I do hope this helps and if there is anyway you think I can help, please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,
- Peter (I work for Nochex)

What's the issue with using the mysql database on the clients host? Have they used them up already?

Ideally I was looking for a simple cart which is why I flagged up Paypal.

(if they do have mysql on their hosting) they definetly haven't been used. It could be used as a solution if it is the easiest way forward but the truth is my knowledge with mysql is very limited (I only know how to create a log-in, using the mysql database for username/password).

If I did implement mysql to store the products and prices, and used an e-commerce platform to front it. does the e-commerce platford deal with the debit/credit card transactions?

thanks

Back