A3 scanner recommendation

gprovan

Hi All,

Anyone have a recommendation for a decent A3 scanner? I have the occasional use for one but couldn't justify spending a huge amount.
I've seen a brand called Mustek but know nothing about them, or if their stuff's any good.

Has anyone bought one recently or used one?

Thanks,

Graeme :thumb:

If it's pretty much just for scanning (and you don't need decent quality printing from it), look at HP / Epson / Brother (although I don't like them myself) A3 all in ones second hand. You can pick them up from around £130+

* EDIT MAKE SURE IT HAS A3 SCANNING SIZE, A LOT OF THEM HAVE A4 ONLY*

Thanks for that. I hadn't really thought of going down the all-in-one route, but that could work. :thumb:

I think you'll struggle to get a decent A3 scanner at an affordable price - have YOU heard of Mustek?

I was looking myself a couple of years ago, but decided on a very good A4 Epson, then when I have to scan something bigger than A4 (sometimes A2!),
I "stitch" it together in Photoshop. It saves a lot of money for just a few minutes work (ok, half an hour sometimes!).

I think you'll struggle to get a decent A3 scanner at an affordable price - have YOU heard of Mustek?

I was looking myself a couple of years ago, but decided on a very good A4 Epson, then when I have to scan something bigger than A4 (sometimes A2!),
I "stitch" it together in Photoshop. It saves a lot of money for just a few minutes work (ok, half an hour sometimes!).

Yeh, I do that too.
We've been having more demand for scanning in paintings, drawings and the like and these tend to be more of a problem stitching together, especially the darker areas at the edge when you scan them in bits. If I could get something relatively decent for under £200 then it would actually save me some money in the long term.

I know another option is taking a photo, but I don't find this gives enough detail.

Yes, I know what you mean about the dark edges - I try and make sure mine are slightly less than full A3 when I scan them in, so I have a little
room to play with. A perfectly flat bed would be best, but I don't think that's possible.

I know you can get one for under £200, but I would worry about the quality, but then again, I'm printing giclee quality prints. You may well find it's ok.

Back