A little poll for you all on this dreary Monday morning

Would you prefer to work in an agency or in-house?

• Agency side!

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • In-house please!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not really fussed

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

BDCLouise

Morning all!

Hope you had good weekends in the sunshine (while it lasted!!) but now it would seem autumn is definitely coming thick and fast!

I'd be interested in hearing what people think across the world; would you rather work in-house in a design department for a large company, or do you prefer the marketing/design agency side of things?

If you do/don't have a preference about either, is there a reason? Perhaps you'd prefer to go with the flow, and be a small fish in a big pond; or maybe you prefer the excitement of being a "mover and shaker", and be a big fish in a small pond (excuse the terrible metaphors!)

Ive been working as part of an inhouse design team for 2 years and its not bad but you're very restricted as to how creative you can be. There's no contact with the people youre designing for as its all done through sales reps who want to impose their ideas on the work. The other negative is that in house work is often the same monotonous jobs month in month out. At least agency work offers you some variety from job to job as well as the opportunity to communicate your ideas and be creative.

I think they each have their pros and cons so i answered "not fussed". I work in house and i get plenty of perks, work pretty much strictly 9 to 5, Monday to Friday, have a lovely team of people around me and got far more responsibility straight out of uni than i would have done with an agency. Plus we all take turns at making the tea ;p

If i worked for an agency I'm sure i would have had less responsibility to start with, would have been making the tea for quite sometime, probably would have had to put in a lot more hours and got paid a lot less. BUT I would have more variety in my work, probably more exciting and creative projects, and may have had more client experience (although working inhouse is giving me some inside info on what a "client" would want as sometimes our company has to use agencies when the workload is massive, and i can see where they mess up!)

Back