A list of the common things grads lack.

I recall hearing in prior posts about how GD grads commonly lack skills in knowing crops, bleeds and masking.

I am looking from the employers out there for the most common/should know skills that grads need to know but commonly don't and frustrates the hell out of you.

I don't employ anyone, but I do deal with the end product a lot, so the following may be a good starter:

1. As you've identified: bleeds.

On a good day I can expect to spend about an hour fixing/adding bleeds!

2. Not paying attention to requirements.

When I agree a job with someone I'll send them a full artwork spec with everything I need in terms of resolution, bleed, marks, format etc. It's super frustrating to ask for a high res jpg, with 3mm bleed, at 300dpi, in cmyk colour, and get a png back. Which leads me neatly on to....

3. Giving up on the job when you hit send.

So many clients or their agents will send something on to me that's not right and then either ignore or reply late to my emails telling them what's wrong and how to fix it. There also seem to be a lot of GDs out there who simply refuse to admit that they've not done something right. While I can appreciate professional pride this only hurts the end user!

4. Being rude.

Again, more common than you'd imagine. It's a high pressure industry, but there's no need to be a bastard about it (not that I think you would be, but you know...)

5. Not being able to match my tea to the pantone I've requested.

Sorry - I couldn't resist! :p

I don't employ anyone, but I do deal with the end product a lot, so the following may be a good starter:

1. As you've identified: bleeds.

On a good day I can expect to spend about an hour fixing/adding bleeds!

2. Not paying attention to requirements.

When I agree a job with someone I'll send them a full artwork spec with everything I need in terms of resolution, bleed, marks, format etc. It's super frustrating to ask for a high res jpg, with 3mm bleed, at 300dpi, in cmyk colour, and get a png back. Which leads me neatly on to....

3. Giving up on the job when you hit send.

So many clients or their agents will send something on to me that's not right and then either ignore or reply late to my emails telling them what's wrong and how to fix it. There also seem to be a lot of GDs out there who simply refuse to admit that they've not done something right. While I can appreciate professional pride this only hurts the end user!

4. Being rude.

Again, more common than you'd imagine. It's a high pressure industry, but there's no need to be a bastard about it (not that I think you would be, but you know...)

5. Not being able to match my tea to the pantone I've requested.

Sorry - I couldn't resist! :p

I feel that you have just vented on mine and many other printers behalf throughout the world. I have had final year design students coming to me in the past wanting to produce an A1 poster for final presentations and trying to get them to understand the concept of 300dpi or bleeds or even a suitable piece of software to produce something in the first place (powerpoint.... I kid you not!!) is so frustrating.

I see their designs and they look fine or even great but if they don't plan ahead and start designing with the end-product in mind then you are onto a loser.

and relax, time for a coffee

Mark

or even a suitable piece of software to produce something in the first place (powerpoint.... I kid you not!!) is so frustrating.

Might not be the students fault there - our lecturer told us last term that our presentation posters had to be produced in PowerPoint, just because they can save to .pdf and 'most of these students are unlikely to know how to create print-ready .pdfs'.

n.b. It isn't a design degree either, before anyone asks why most wouldn't know :icon_blushing:

Might not be the students fault there - our lecturer told us last term that our presentation posters had to be produced in PowerPoint, just because they can save to .pdf and 'most of these students are unlikely to know how to create print-ready .pdfs'.

n.b. It isn't a design degree either, before anyone asks why most wouldn't know :icon_blushing:

I agree if you aren't a design student then fair enough, i've done work for nursing students, software designers and so on and you don't expect them to be totally savvy - on a side point I would expect the tutors to give some guidance regardless of the course - but it happens time and again, lovely designs but i regulalry get

1. wrong colour profile
2. wrong dpi
3. wrong file type
4. wrong page shape (that was only one to be fair)

and this is design students.

My brother works in a very well known high street print franchise very near a university and the word student (and I hate to say it but design students in particular) strikes a note of fear into their hearts.

Sorry to go on but I have hit my stride now and I feel the need to vent a bit more, this isn't aimed at the students at all but more so at the institutions and tutors. When I first got into the print industry in the mid 80's one of the major paper manufacturers pushed Conqueror products aggresively and for years afterwards students came out with degrees and only wanted Conqueror, nothing else would do, only because they were told it was the be all and end all of quality and style. Yet there were many products as good around and at dramatically cheaper prices. As a printer there were much better products technically to print on, particulalry when it came to stability on a press but it was too late and everyone wanted Conqueror, a product which really was sold purely on it's name and brand.

It goes to show that sometimes the tutors are concentrating on the wrong things, they should be aware that their students are going to go out into a work environment and some of them are grossly unprepared, after all the course should not be just about developing the artistic side but also make them aware of the technicalities of taking that design to the next stage whatever that may be.

Vent over - sorry if it sounds like a rant

how long does it take valiumm to kick in?

Mark

Often, grads lack simple skills that experienced designers take for granted like.....

• Knowing the difference between RGB and CMYK and their correct implimentation.
• Which Program does what. (eg; just using photoshop for everything.)
• Ability to correctly prepare a file for print (as mentioned above bleed, crops etc..)
•*How generate ideas properly and not just sitting down and searching google images for pretty pictures
• Use of fonts! nobody needs to see a brochure designed using the simpsons font

My biggest rant is normally over 'web designers' masquerading as graphic designers...
which is where you get the RGB and CMYK problems.

so...
bleeds and crops
widows and orphans
rivers
hyphenation
typos
pantones

and everything else people have mentioned. That said I have been dealing with a huge number of designers for many years who produce excellent work...and have not had a great deal to do with the latest crop of students. Those I have dealt with recently have been wonderful. They listened to everything I said!

Back