A couple of questions (or 5) lol

Lea

Ok, I have a few questions to fellow-graphic designers, especially new ones :icon_biggrin:

1. Do you still feel like you are 'setting up' as a graphic designer, or do you feel you have reached 'i'm a graphic designer' status?

2. Are you confident with what you have to offer?

3. Do you work for yourself, for an agency etc etc? If from home, do you have other jobs?

4. Do you have any qualifications or are you self-taught?

5. Do you feel guilty charging money? (probs more of a question for the less confident graphic designer)

Thank you :D I shall answer below..

1. Do you still feel like you are 'setting up' as a graphic designer, or do you feel you have reached 'i'm a graphic designer' status?
I am still not completely confident that I have what it takes to call myself a graphic designer

In my artwork, yes, in my graphic design, not at all

3. Do you work for yourself, for an agency etc etc? If from home, do you have other jobs?
I work for myself, in spare time. Other than that, i'm stuck at home with my youngest child lol

I have nothing that can be put into a CV that represents design in any way.

5. Do you feel guilty charging money?
Yes.. This week i've had some work ordered with a local band and two websites from other clients, and I feel guilty even mentioning payment :(

Always feel like i'm going to be found out

No

Both

Self taught

I feel guilty charging for anything

Thank you :D

After 14 years of playing i feel i am now ready to say yes

yes for about 85% of the whole process - just need to work on the book-keeping side really.

Both

basic hnd qually to start then self taught/sponged bits and bobs off other work collegues (this does go both ways)

Hell no… Don't think the bank feels guilty charging me for the mortgage, or the local gargae feels guilty charging me for an mot test!

11 years of working commercially as a designer I think I have reached the 'i'm a graphic designer' status.

I am very self critical of my work but am confident with what I offer / produce.

I am Creative Director of a web / design business employing 4 staff.

I have an HND in Graphic Design and an Honours Degree in Animation.

I don't feel guilty charging money, I just find it difficult charging the correct amount :)

I still feel I am starting out to be honest. I have been trying my hardest to get myself set up. However
I have learnt a lot.

Yes. I am now. I didn't used to be.

I do both lol i work for myself and an agency

Both

5. Do you feel guilty charging money? (probs more of a question for the less confident graphic designer)
Yes and no

I still feel like were setting up, I think the status of graphic designer will come when i've had more experience.

Yes... I think you have to be. But I think i'm a bit like pixels in the fact that i'm very self critical plus I always think I can do better.

I am one of two directors of our web/ graphic design company. I have the design skills, he has the web development skills so together we make a pretty good team!

I have a HND in Graphic Design but i've learnt so much more from working in the industry.

Not really, as long as we never undersell ourselves!

After all this time..i really feel like i am a graphic designer

Absolutely, what i offer is what i can do.

I work in my office, it's the only work i can do.

I got a graphic designer degree in Italy, but its just a piece of paper...i learnt all by myself working in different places when i was just a kid.

I ask what i ask...and i offer quality...if the client thinks its too much...well...google a graphic designer...there's plenty in there...and cheap....and crap..;) and they come back to me...it happens always...:)

I'm a graduate but still don't class myself as a designer yet...I'd say Junior or Trainee Designer, as I'm still on the bottom end of the learning curve.

It depends on what it is...sometimes I'm totally confident and proud of what I'm doing, other times I 'crash' I'm wondering what the hell have I got myself into...

Work from home designing on an as-and-when-basis...I co-run another business (events) and so this keeps my really busy.

HND Graphic Design, BA (Hons) Graphic Design...About to embark on a postgrad...Most of what I know I've learned from practise on the computer, people around me, and books. NOT college/uni ironically!

HELL NO!!! I've spent years training for this!! Does a solicitor feel guilty for charging £250 an hour? I dont think so!!

Back