100% FREE Website Creation Help

Free hosting

I'm absolutely strapped for cash at the moment and have had to let my website, domain etc, go - so what are the possible pitfalls connected with free hosting?

I'm absolutely strapped for cash at the moment and have had to let my website, domain etc, go - so what are the possible pitfalls connected with free hosting?

Why? The renewal fee of your domain is only about £7 every 2 years, what other costs are there? Most domain companies and broadband providers offer free webspace, plenty to host your website....you shouldn't be paying more than the domain renewal fee.

Mine wanted £96 inc vat for two year hosting charge and domain renewal

Yeah so say no thanks, download your website first so you have a copy, then transfer your domain which you own to 123-reg.co.uk, and once your domain has gone over upload the website to the free webspace 123 offer, job done....you just pay the renewal fee now every 2 years which is less than a tenner.

Yeah so say no thanks, download your website first so you have a copy, then transfer your domain which you own to 123-reg.co.uk, and once your domain has gone over upload the website to the free webspace 123 offer, job done....you just pay the renewal fee now every 2 years which is less than a tenner.

That all sounds excellent, but I'm a simpleton when it comes to anything marginally technical with the web and wouldn't have the first idea how to do any off that which you describe.:icon_blushing:

Does that meen that I could keep my email and website addresses, which would be brilliant?

Also I'm planning to redesign the website which I've never been very happy with anyway - because of my lack of knowledge in that department, I let someone else do it, however I've just downloaded Wordpress so I can have a crack at it.

Last edited:
Does that meen that I could keep my email and website addresses, which would be brilliant?

Yes you would, it's really simple, you would be better off just to ask someone on the tenders and services forum to sort this for you, chuck them £20 as it really won't take long and your sorted then.

You just need to download the current website via the FTP details you sent me that once, transfer the domain name somewhere that offers free webspace such as 123-reg who I think do, upload the site to this webspace, set up e-mail forwarding and your done.

Would love to help you out like last time but just stacked with work at the mo, sorry...

Ok, have used filezilla and managed to transfer all but two which it said connection closed by server and they are D:\log\web.log and D:\Maildir what do I do now please?

also once resolved next step how do I access my domain names?

Thanks guys, you have no idea how I appreciate this.

Terry

I've been doing a lot of googling (it doesn't make you go blind!) and haven't actually discovered one genuine free web hosting offer. However One.com is offering 1 year hosting + domain transfer for £9 + vat which I thought wasn't too bad.

Anyone know anything better before I commit myself (not to an asylum I hasten to add).

Picture sizes

OK - well I've transferred my domains over to One.com and am now waiting for everything to go live.

As I never really liked my website, I've decided to build a new one and as you'll have gathered by now, I know nothing of the technical side. While I'm waiting I thought that I'd upload some images via ftp and am wondering what is the optimum size in terms of resolution etc. for speed and quality.

Terry

Back