Your Graphic Design Experience!

Unfortunately, if you're earning an income it has to be declared to HMRC. If they catch you out then its an instant £1000 fine. Find a local startup business advisor and go see them. It'll probably cost about £20-£40 but will be well worth it as you'll come away with everything you need to know about working for yourself (on whatever scale you decide).

It does not surprise me that your college tutors failed to prepare you in any way for the challenges that lie before you; design courses the world over are remiss in this regard.

Doubtless they did little or nothing either to arm you with the marketing and business skills you will need to build a career in design?

I am not a designer, but a design business journalist, and I provide marketing consultancy services to designers.

First of all, forget email. It's a waste of time.

You need to build a portfolio of commercial work, in order to show agencies (if you want to be an employee) or clients (if you plan on freelancing) -- that you have experience of helping make real-world clients more profitable.

Your first few projects will probably need to be pro bono. Begin networking with your local business community; go to business events, speak to local businesspeople, make yourself known in your own community.

The next crucial step is to pick niche markets -- tradespeople, churches, schools, charities, etc, and build deep expertise in one or more of these niches. This is what will protect you from the perils of free pitching later in your career.

I have written a white paper on this subject, aimed at everyone from graduate designers up to large agencies. (You can find a link to my white paper on the home page of my site, which is in y signature.)

The reality is that designers are about as right-brain as you can get and make very poor businesspeople -- so if you can apply some basic business strategy to your endeavours, you'll give yourself a jump start on 95% of the competition.

Good luck, and happy to field any questions you may have.

Radical Rooster - We went to the same Uni. :icon_biggrin: The girl you mention working for a big tool company took my old job when I left for where I am now.

Good to see you are finding your feet now, good luck fella.

I know this may be a little late for RadicalRooster but don't email. Its so is to delete them- you're gone in a flash. Sent something in. Then turn up.

I could never reject someone who has a good portfolio and the 'nerve' to wait upon me.

The first job I got because I went the business asked for the boss; told he was busy. Said I'd wait and I did two and a half hours. He thanked me for 'being ignored' for a couple of hours. Politely said 'not hiring now'.

3 weeks later a phone call to come and see him. Given the job - lasted 8 years ..(also the best mentor I could ever ask for.:icon_notworthy: )

Best tip for grads (& general job hunters)

Sell yourself, persist and always be polite.

This has sort of been covered by others but, try not to be tempted (as hard as it is) into a job (such as an artworker) if you want to be a designer. I made that mistake when I first started out and it took me a good three years then to build up a good design portfolio.

I was doing odds and ends of design and artwork at a small studio which was good experience but the quality of the briefs wasn't good enough.

I know now that I should have held out for a practice that I really wanted to work at.

My advice would be, take a look around the area where you want to work, then choose somewhere that's doing work you would like to do then home in on them. Find out everything about them, work they've done. work they're doing, people's names, awards they've won, are they on Facebook, twitter and all that old bollocks, get involved,contact the creative director - offer to go in and make tea for a week, take a job they've done and if you think you're good enough, show what you'd done, do one every week and send it in...even better, if you can take it in, get to know the person (probably Girl) on the desk, build up a relationship so the jobs eventually don't go in the bin.

It's much easier to concentrate on one target and because if you are tenacious enough something will happen - the worst is they'll tell you to clear off and leave them alone - you then use all you've learned and choose someone else.

Back