Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your favorite illustrators

Discussion in 'Graphic Design Forum:' started by ralphsaunders, Mar 10, 2010.

1. ralphsaunders

ralphsaunders Senior Member

Doing a college project at the moment which involves quite a lot of illustration and I am at a bit of a loss as to who to look at. I'm curious as to what your favorite illustrators are and why, particularly illustrators that work with narrative. Graphic novels, children's books, stuff like that.

2. davewill

davewill Senior Member

you could check out the work of quentin blake Quentin Blake Official Website if you havent already, I wouldnt say he is one of my favourites, but his style is so recognisable, and so hard to replicate.
    He manages to pack a whole wealth of emotion and movement in to his work, yet make it look as if its effortless
    Wong Amat Tower Condo Pattaya
  3. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Ron Cobb, Guy Billout, George the top of my head.

I'll be back with more.
  4. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

5. Krey20

Krey20 Senior Member

Illustration is one of the many strings to his bow, but I've always been a fan of Dave McKean.
  6. ralphsaunders

Thanks for the responses guys. Will have a good sort through tomorrow and get some of that magic inspiration dust.
  7. babsillus

babsillus Junior Member

I really love the work of Marc Boutavant ; he's a french illustrator.
  8. babsillus

babsillus Junior Member

9. eneyekay

eneyekay Member

10. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

11. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Mike Mignola does some really nice stuff in black and white or colour. He drew the Hellboy comics. Really nice sort of gothic stile with lots of angular lines and detail.

12. ralphsaunders

Thanks for all the great recommendations guys. I will be finishing up the project on Thursday and will post some of my stuff on Friday :)
  13. donald greens

donald greens Junior Member

Attached Files:

14. BenJonesDesign

BenJonesDesign Active Member

i've been studying a few illustrators for my own development at the moment and have found that for comics (my preference being realistic / manga) Masayuki Taguchi really stands out with his illustrations in Battle Royale, some outstanding artwork in there, and seriously worth the read!

With fantasy I am currently studying John Howe. He has created artwork a lot of things including Lord of the Rings. Another is Stephen Crisp, he doesn't live to far from me and I had the chance to compete against him (was never going to win but hey), his work is really quite flawless, his paintings really don't look like paintings.
  15. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

16. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

17. babsillus

babsillus Junior Member

I think we'd like to see the results ! \o/
  18. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

I put this in another thread "illustration books" but as this guy is my favourite illustrator/artist I thought I'd put it here too.
    Reg Mombassa doesn't really have such a good online presence so I thought I'd put up the cover of my favourite book of which he did the cover.

19. zadok

zadok Junior Member

A Great british illustrator for comics was frank bellamy,worth a google.