Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writing 'Website Brand Guidelines'

Discussion in 'Website Design Forum:' started by nickio15, Jan 28, 2010.

1. nickio15

nickio15 Member

Hi,

I'm looking at writing a set of guidelines for an e-commerce website I have been working on. This needs to include screengrabs showing dimensions of different elements so that banner dimensions can be identified much more efficiently with already specified figures.

I also need to include the font stack which will include which fonts to use for H1, H2, H3 along with paragraph text.

If anyone has ever written a document they have written that relates to this then I would love hear back from you. I need some inspiration on layouts and basically how to handle this kind of thing. I can seem to find a lot of 'brand guidelines' out there but nothing specifically on how to write a guide for a website.

I can appreciate that the website guidelines may well fall into a companies brand guidelines but I am just looking for info on the web area. Any resources or advice would be fantastic.

Hope this makes sense

Regards

Nick

Portfolio : Nicky Lock

2. rgregory

rgregory Member

Hi

I have done something similar to what you are undertaking in the past and I took a lot of inspiration from brand guidelines. I would include a print screen of a full page - detailing briefly what tags are featured and maybe a very brief guide of font, size and any other properties such as line-height etc within a chat bubble graphic (I know not the technical term) and then on the subsequent pages break down each tag/element with a preview image and then list the exact style properties for it. For example: H1 - image - font-family = x font-size-y.

For layout I used In-design and exported for the client as PDF. I styled it up as a brochure and it was used as a guideline for anyone who would be creating further pages. I would attach a version however i'd imagine there would be copyright infringements.

Hope it's not too late however I thought I’d answer for anyone else having this dilemma...

Rachel