Where Should I Start?

Powdski

So basically I am trying to get into graphics/logo design. I have pretty good knowledge of photoshop, and I am still learning about how to use illustrator. I am not a very good artist or drawer, so I got my friend to help draw the mascots. Should I keep having him drawing, and me editing? Or would it be better going solo, and learning how to draw? Thanks, all comments are appreciated!

You don't need to be a skilled drawer to do logos unless you're intending to do mascot work like your profile picture. A logo should generally be simple enough that you can draw or describe it easily as basic shapes or a concept (think Nike logo). It's useful to be able to draw but not essential. There's also the issue that not everyone is naturally good at drawing, and learning to draw at the same level as your friend could potentially take you years.

You could continue working with your friend, but it's worth bearing in mind that this doubles the manpower which potentially halves your income unless you factor two people working on the logo from the start. I don't know who you're targeting or what budgets you aim for but you could find you price yourself out of the lower-end clients and have to seek those who are willing and able to pay a higher fee (which generally is good).

Get comfortable with Illustrator and ditch Photoshop ASAP, especially if you need to charge a higher fee.

Back