• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What is the fascination with 3D buttons?

Hiya peeps

I got approached by a web developer I know to do some graphics work for him and he was really keen on '3D buttons', made out the production of them was somehow alchemy!? Odd for such a chap given his experience. But would he not be able to do these himself!? I thought it strange...

Thoughts? :icon_confused:

Paul Murray

Staff member
Whilst I'm not a fan of the web 2.0 trend, I think they can look pretty good when done well. Being subtle with gradients and hues is the key I think. A plain old single-colour web button tends to look a bit boring nowadays. Plus, a button that's actually a CTA button needs to be enticing.

Paul Murray

Staff member
Call to action.

It's basically anything that entices you to do something that typically benefits the provider in some way (such as signing up to a newsletter in order to download a free e-book).

I recently had a guy ask me to design a website for him..... he wanted every tacky photoshop effect under the sun...... needless to say, I gave everything up shortly after *rocks in the corner*