Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are Employers Looking For?

Discussion in 'Website Design Critique:' started by whitehawkdesign, May 1, 2011.

1. whitehawkdesign

whitehawkdesign New Member

Hi,

I've been in the design industry for 9 months, making a pretty drastic career change coming from hospitality managemant. I've been working in a design studio on a freelance basis where I've been lucky enough to use the spare computer with the full CS5 package on it.

I feel I've now got to a stage where I could be employed as a junior somewhere but don't know what potential employers would be looking for. I don't have a degree but spent two years at art college. Would this be held against me if I don't have a degree?

Since joining the design studio I've been involved a a variety of projects from vehicle wrapping to designing websites. I've put a variety of things in my online portfolio what I've done but should I be more specific in an area like web design for example?

Feedback on my portfolio would be great even if it's negative as its a good way of learning what I should be including.

Thanks

2. DWildish

DWildish Member

blank

3. Studio Chirpy

Studio Chirpy New Member

Degree, meh doesn't mean too much. It might get your foot in the door, but in reality it's all about your portfolio.

I've got a degree and TBH it hasn't aided me that much in the real world - it was far too much like fine art for my liking (despite being a Graphic Design course).

Main bit of advice... get rid of the desk (sorry!). It's been done to death and will do the opposite if you want to stand out...IMO. I would try to get some actual photograph of your print stuff, as that can really show off your work if done right.

4. DWildish

DWildish Member

blank