Website - How To?

Hi people, I need to get a website up and running for my portfolio and I have literally no experience whatsoever with website design. I just wanted to know if anyone could suggest a decent place to get started? I belong to 123 and they have a website builder but does anyone have experience using it/any good?

As much as I would love to hire a website designer (hopefully in the future) I just cannot afford to lay that sort of money out at the moment. Just need a clean, decent site to showcase my work for now. Any advice/suggestions most welcome.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steven,

There are a lot of great options out there for building your own site. I wouldn't use anything like 123 Reg's site builder though. Can't imagine that being great.
There are options such as Wordpress that let you get your own website up and running with relative ease.

Cheers Tom, I know off Wordpress and I did have a look at that about 6months ago, seemed you had to know a bit of coding though, hopefully it has improved. Just seeing what you guys recommend really and will get it into this more next week.

I haven't had the need to use them myself but they are the best way to get your work noticed if you don't have the capabilities to set up your own website. I should really start using them as it showcases your work in front of millions of people without them having to go to your specific site to view it.

Install Wordpress. Add a free theme. Job done.

Then you can tweak the design, backend etc. and build up your knowledge.

Sounds very unprofessional but a friend of mine had his portfolio up on Facebook. A leading sports brand happened to see it - he now works at Nike.

I have my portfolio on a few sites already plus have a fb page with some samples. Not keen on a 'free' theme at all. Will have to research more and may have to pay out if Im not happy with whats on offer.

I have my portfolio on a few sites already plus have a fb page with some samples. Not keen on a 'free' theme at all. Will have to research more and may have to pay out if Im not happy with whats on offer.

I wouldn't dimiss "free" themes out of hand. There are some great free Wordpress themes out there.

Also, please don't put a professional portfolio on DeviantArt :(

I wouldn't dimiss "free" themes out of hand. There are some great free Wordpress themes out there.

Also, please don't put a professional portfolio on DeviantArt :(

Ive never been on that site and do not intend to either, not my bag. What I meant by 'free' theme is these companies who all use the same basic template.

I'd highly recommend installing WordPress, which a lot of other posters have suggested already. You can buy premium themes at reasonable prices if you're not keen on the free ones. I'm using a free theme from devpress on my site called Origin. Just a temporary thing whilst I sort out my portfolio and finish building my own theme, but still stylish and easy to use.

Back