Website and Content Review

Max Beard

Hey Everyone this is my first post!

I'm currently in the process of developing my portfolio website and filling it with content ready to start applying for jobs when I leave university in a years time. It's not completely finished so some links don't work yet and certain areas don't have much content! I would really appreciate your feedback on the sort of content thats on my website and how I can improve areas!

Thanks All!

over-all i like it i love sites like this simple and to the point and serves your exact purpose, that being said;

• you have 4 lines of images but the last line only has one it it, i would either fill up the space or remove one to have a balanced page, the trend follows into print/photography/logos/social etc. in photography id suggest having a panorama at the bottom, would also showcase a different type of photography skill.

• are you going for every type of design job? most of us have an area or two which we focus on and use that as the focal point of our website, so branding/logos or illustations/branding(books) etc, being an all-rounder is not a bad thing but are you actually going to be hired for photography? usually people would go to a dedicated studio for that, and if you had to take images to help brand something or for a book say, you could include this on a project page, with your design process, where and how you used it, etc.

• and saying about design/project processes a page example http://madebyfieldwork.com/work/community-shares-company/, doesnt have to be this strictly but honestly its nice getting some information on your design process for clients, not a necessity but in my opinion it sets us apart from that ''guy with photoshop'' < not as black and white as that but you get my ponit and im not a fan of having you click an image and have a ''pop up'' of the same thing, feels out dated.

over-all i like it i love sites like this simple and to the point and serves your exact purpose, that being said;

• you have 4 lines of images but the last line only has one it it, i would either fill up the space or remove one to have a balanced page, the trend follows into print/photography/logos/social etc. in photography id suggest having a panorama at the bottom, would also showcase a different type of photography skill.

• are you going for every type of design job? most of us have an area or two which we focus on and use that as the focal point of our website, so branding/logos or illustations/branding(books) etc, being an all-rounder is not a bad thing but are you actually going to be hired for photography? usually people would go to a dedicated studio for that, and if you had to take images to help brand something or for a book say, you could include this on a project page, with your design process, where and how you used it, etc.

• and saying about design/project processes a page example http://madebyfieldwork.com/work/community-shares-company/, doesnt have to be this strictly but honestly its nice getting some information on your design process for clients, not a necessity but in my opinion it sets us apart from that ''guy with photoshop'' < not as black and white as that but you get my ponit and im not a fan of having you click an image and have a ''pop up'' of the same thing, feels out dated.
Thank you for the great feedback! I'll take it all on board when making changes! Think I might remove the photography section and replace it with 3D work or animation. With the pop up boxes I will probably have it so once you click on the design it comes up with the process or the design mocked up on a sign, bottle, book etc.

Back