Web Fonts

zap

We have started using Typekit. A huge list of typefaces to choose from. With the release of CSS 3 / HTML 5 and the use of the font-face tag, services like these will change the way we are currently designing websites.

Highly recommended.

I think there are too many open license free fonts out there (and things such as google's font directory) for me to start paying $50 a year to use typekits. That's at the moment at least :)

I have a Typekit account and I've experimented with it, but just like Mark (Renniks) I can't really be bothered to pay for it while there are so many free alternatives out there.

I totally understand that there are many free alternatives, Typekit makes developing a site swift. When amending the site for an alternative typeface - this is updated in an instant. Where as, if I was to do this manually, I would be wasting at least 20-30 minutes of my time.

I don't know about you, but changing any font takes along time, making sure leading, tracking, size, how it looks, line length (or number of words per line)...

However To physically change (without considering all the effects) a font on google fonts takes 10 seconds... it involves changing one URL and then the font stack you are using.

Changing using fontsquirrel takes a couple of minutes, download the new font-face kit, upload it to the server, and change the stylesheet. Sorted.

So I'm not sure how typekit (haven't used it) is any quicker

Renniks said:
So I'm not sure how typekit (haven't used it) is any quicker

You make multiple kits and for each kit you get a few lines of code (<script ....>) and you paste those into your site. You select the fonts that you want in your kit, you select which elements you want to be displayed in the font and click save; all of this is done from the TypeKit website, it's not particularly difficult. And then just refresh your page and it will be updated.

So you only have to change your code once to add in the scripts.

Same as google fonts then.

(And normal @font-face's just have the extra step of adding the font into the directory)

Back