Web Fonts

Renniks

Trust my luck, the site goes down when I'm playing about with 30 or so tabs and lose the one I've typed.

Anyway....

While reading up on typography I found something that interested me, I currently realise there are a set of web safe fonts that can generally be used with any sites and not need worry about browser or OS.

Common fonts to all versions of Windows & Mac equivalents (Browser safe fonts) - Web design tips & tricks

While recently I came across these 16 fonts that should be safe to use on the web?

And I was wondering if this is the case, what other fonts are there that are safe?

Or should I stick to these lot. Or just the ones in the first post

16 Gorgeous Web Safe Fonts To Use With CSS | Web Design Tutorials | Creating a Website | Learn Adobe Flash, Photoshop and Dreamweaver

The extra fonts (there is some cross over) include Century Gothic, Arial Narrow, Copperplate Gothic Light, Gill Sans.

Thanks

Mark

They should all be good to use aslong as you just dont use "custom" font, such as downloaded fonts from urban fonts etc unless you support them by uploading the font to your space.

I must admit I pretty much use either georgia or verdana - verdana particulary as it was designed for web.

br3n said:
I must admit I pretty much use either georgia or verdana - verdana particulary as it was designed for web.
Ditto for body text, but I tend to vary for headings.
And thanks Mark for the link, didn't know there were so many web safe fonts :up:

Cheers silver, indeed most of the time I stick to verdana, tahoma or georgia, but no harm having some freedom.

Not bothered about @fontface any time soon, will continue to use fonts that work in the older browsers.

I know about font stacks but wasnt bothered about that at the moment, was more interested in whether it would be necessary to use one on Gill Sans, or if I can be happy in the knowledge most of my users wont have problems with viewing it.

Not bothered about @fontface any time soon, will continue to use fonts that work in the older browsers.

It's all about progressive enhancement. It may not be appropriate in all builds but @fontface or .webfont will defiantly be the future of web typography.

Back