Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Web Browser Design

Discussion in 'Website Design Critique:' started by broomy, Oct 19, 2013.

?

Which Design Do You Prefer?

1. Design #1, Simple Rectangle

25.0%
  2. Design #2, Rectangle with Shortcut Letters

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Design #3, Round Control

75.0%
  4. Other design!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. broomy

broomy New Member

I am in the process of creating a full screen web browser for Windows. When users find themselves the need to search, change page, bookmark, change settings etc. they hold a modifier button (e.g. Ctrl, Alt, or Shift) and a control pops up, allowing them to access different parts of the browser. Following are a few pictures for ideas of this control, please tell me which you would pick and why!

Design #1 App_Fade_Transparent.jpg
    Design #2 App_Fade_With_Letters.jpg
    Design #3 App_Fade_Round_Words.jpg
    Or suggest a new design!

2. richimgd

richimgd Member

I think the simplicity of design 1 works for me but from a UX point of view if the menu only shows up with a modifier button then the circle interface would be better as it would mean all buttons would be equal distance from the mouse pointer. So maybe the icons of design 1 but in the circle. Im not sure how necessary the text beneath the icons is. Maybe this could just appear on hover.

I think these sort of icons are normally as minimal as possible without any text to describe what they are. I.e on the twitter mobile app I was a little confused as to what the main buttons did at first, but I soon got used to them. Its the same with Instagram etc...

Stationery Direct likes this.
  3. broomy

broomy New Member

Very helpful reply, I agree! I think that if the mouse jumps to the middle of the round control then it will look good and serve its purpose well. Thank you richimgd!

However, I would now like more peoples opinions, so I can have a more well-rounded idea of the public's opinion! :)

4. hankscorpio

hankscorpio Moderator Staff Member

Don't agree with the mouse jumping.

You might be hovering in a point, say a game, and the mouse jumping would be horrible say playing Pool and hitting the modifier key.

It would have to be a hard combo modifier keys for it to work like CTRL |

To keep the modifier on the left hand and using the mouse.

Modifier for a left hand mouse could be Ctrl /

The other problem is with handheld devices like tablets, and phones. Most don't have a screen at the ready.

For this reason I don't think a modifier key is a good idea.

But what about a Gesture?

Maybe leaving the mouse in a user-defined corner could bring up the display - perhaps a delay of 1 or 2 seconds (user defined)

This would work well for tablets too.

I like the first design.

5. broomy

broomy New Member

Good point, I'll keep the mouse in the same position. The gesture is currently in use, I thought that having a key would be a great additional feature.
    Thanks Hankscorpio!

6. FurnitureGuy

FurnitureGuy Member

Design 3 gets my vote too on asthetics, it stands out and reminds me of the very popular iPod control

7. hankscorpio

hankscorpio Moderator Staff Member

Design 1 and 2 are quite similar.

Design 3 is different altogether.

Perhaps give the user a choice of a bar or a dial for this pop up?