• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Wacom Tablet - Recommendations?

Jimlad

Here's the scenario: I first bought my current Wacom tablet from a fellow student at uni back in the day... about 5 yea- no wait... jesus... 7 years ago! And it was obviously old then.

It served me well and worked fine with the drivers provided for Windows XP.
I now have an iMac, for which there are no drivers for this tablet either on disc or online. Its THAT old. And it works like crap - about as responsive and accurate as a drunk hobo smoking skunk on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? And I need an upgrade.

Now unfortunately, money IS an object, and in limited supply at that right now. So basically - does anyone have any affordable Wacom Tablet recommendations for A6 size?
I've seen some suspiciously cheap ones but obviously you get what you pay for.

Levi

Staff member
bamboo fun (new version is the touch range which adds 'touch') should do you, they're in a few sizes. Now they don't have all the pens of the intuos and they don't have tilt/rotate iirc but if you can get away without them they should do you fine.

Should be available for around £75-150 depending on model and size.

Alternative is second hand intuos 3

Really depends on your budget, not tried a bamboo, but I've not heard anything too terrible about them. I have a graphire 3 and it's brilliant and didn't cost the earth. As well as an old digitizer ii which is great (but will give up the ghost one day :(

maybe worth checking ebay?

tbwcf

I brought a bamboo a year or so ago and found it to be pretty in accurate. Fine if you only want to use it to give your wrist a break over a mouse, but if you actually want to use it for work spend the money and get one of the intuos range I had one in a previous job and it was superb. Expensive, yes, but my experience is that you DO get what you pay for.

I have a bamboo - my bf surprised me with one - I wanted one of the intuos ones but i quite like it although i couldnt do anything major with it because it is inaccurate. I would pay a little more for a better quality one :)

I'm still using my trusty Graphite which I picked up off eBay for about 15 quid.
The Graphire 4 model (that you used to use) are only about £70. Although I rekon you could get one for less.

There has been a thread on Wacom Tablets...check out those Jimbo.

Anon.

mrp2049 said:
I havr an aiptek tablet that is massive and it was under £100 new

Aiptek Media Tablet 14000U: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

I have used the cheaper wacoms and the expensive ones too, honestly I couldnt tell the difference. I'm sure there are people who will tell you there is a massive difference, but they are probably loosers with intuos 4's and fully understand why its bettter.
I've literally just come onto DF from Amazon where I was looking at one of the Aiptek tablets.

I was wondering if they are any good and guess that's just answered my question. Good timing, Thanks Mike :up:

Jimlad

Damn didn't mean to produce a duplicate thread. Now I've actually used my eyes I see the others.
I might go chasing the Graphire 4, since I'm so used to it... though they seem few and far between on my last search. Maybe I'll try looking for a cheap(ish) Intuos. Thanks.