Wacom Cintiq or iPad Pro?

Glindsey

Hi there, I am used to working in Photoshop on my Mac, so ideally would like a touchscreen that works with Photoshop, but Cintiq are so expensive, any good getting second hand one? Or is iPad Pro with Procreate a good option? Any advice appreciated, thanks.

If you already have a mac, the most obvious thing to try is a wacom intuos or similar first (or the entry level ones are still very good), to see how you get on with it. I got used to
using one while looking at the screen very quickly, now it's second nature. A cintiq is quite a big jump and is only really for those doing a lot of digital painting. It depends what
you're going to be using it for. I don't have any experience of procreate with an iPad.

I've never used an iPad Pro but I do have a Cintiq that the company I was working for gave me.

It's in its box in the cupboard. :(

I don't do much digital painting and work in vectors so this is probably why.
I MUCH preferred the Intuos or Bamboo although they take a bit of getting used to (looking at the screen and drawing on the tablet).
Once you do they're great and they quickly replace the mouse or track pad.
Quite cheap and portable too.

One of the problems I found with the Cintiq is that there are a lot of chunky cables and it need its own power supply.
No biggie if you have a dedicated work space but not easy to set up and not portable.
Also, it made the fairly high end Mac I was using fan blow A LOT.
I found myself returning to paper and pencil quite quickly.

These things are super expensive so I'd try one first if you can to see if it would work for you and you can justify the expense.

I'd have been gutted if I'd have bought one out of my own pocket. :(

Thanks for your help Wardy, is wacom intuos pressure sensitive so you can use it like a pencil? Thanks

Thanks for your help Wardy, is wacom intuos pressure sensitive so you can use it like a pencil? Thanks

They are. (sorry @Wardy)

They're actually a fantastic bit of kit for the price (£80GBP) and well worth a try before making a purchase of a Cintiq (£1400 GBP).
I found a smaller one better as they don't take up too much desk space.
I had one originally which was around A3 and it was a bit of a stretch to the keyboard.

I've never used an iPad Pro but I do have a Cintiq that the company I was working for gave me.

It's in its box in the cupboard. :(

I don't do much digital painting and work in vectors so this is probably why.
I MUCH preferred the Intuos or Bamboo although they take a bit of getting used to (looking at the screen and drawing on the tablet).
Once you do they're great and they quickly replace the mouse or track pad.
Quite cheap and portable too.

One of the problems I found with the Cintiq is that there are a lot of chunky cables and it need its own power supply.
No biggie if you have a dedicated work space but not easy to set up and not portable.
Also, it made the fairly high end Mac I was using fan blow A LOT.
I found myself returning to paper and pencil quite quickly.

These things are super expensive so I'd try one first if you can to see if it would work for you and you can justify the expense.

I'd have been gutted if I'd have bought one out of my own pocket. :(

Brilliant advice, looks like I should be trying the intuos, it just seems wrong to not be looking what my pencil is doing, but sounds like I can be trained to do it! Thanks

Brilliant advice, looks like I should be trying the intuos, it just seems wrong to not be looking what my pencil is doing, but sounds like I can be trained to do it! Thanks

It does take some getting used to but you do it quite quickly.
You can take the A4(ish) ones anywhere as they're very slim and powered from the USB or even wireless.

I’ve just got an iPad Pro. It’s so nice to draw on. You can actually link it to your Mac, so it acts like a Cintiq, with an app called Astropad. I’ve not used it yet, but it’s on my list.

Back