Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urgent Help Needed!

Discussion in 'Graphic Design & Logo Design Critique:' started by BenRichards, May 23, 2012.

1. BenRichards

BenRichards Member

Right, I have been doing a flyer for a local music festival and for the back of the flyer I have been asked to do a map that shows the accessibility from the surrounding areas.
    Below is a draft of what i have been doing but I can't do the map a way that I like it. I can't help but think it looks really amateur.

Please could people suggest anything I could do to improve, in particular, the map area of the flyer.

Thanks a lot!

2. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member

Maybe forget the geographical approach and try something a bit more tube map...?
  3. daytona

daytona Member

I actually like it a lot. I think it's nice that it's been integrated into the flyer and not shoved in a box which it could easily have been. I know you've used traditional colour, but I wouldn't be afraid to experiment with other colours that maybe blend in a bit more seamlessly. I'd also look at the type size, I'd been concerned about readability, though you didn't mention how big the actual thing is so maybe it's okay.
  4. BenRichards

BenRichards Member

I think it is going to be normal flyer size, around A6, so type size is a good point. And I have had a play with different colours but I thought by using road colours it makes it clearer and more informative for people looking at it.

And Dave, I did think about doing something more abstract but I think being literal with "the geographical approach" is more what the client wanted because he wants it to show how close the festival is to the surrounding cities/towns and so it makes it clearer that way.

I will try and play around though in accordance to your feedback and see what I can do.

More feedback muchhhh appreciated!
  5. Is this flyer to accompany the poster design you posted in a previous forum?
  6. BenRichards

BenRichards Member

Yes, a newer version though:

This will be the front and the map will be the back..
  7. The reason i ask is, i seem to remember that poster design been quite dark and if the front of this flyer is a scaled down version on the same colour palette then i feel it may be a little dark for a summer music festival?
    Any chance of viewing the collection?

Must have posted that just as i was posting this?
  8. Whats the front of the flyer look like then?
  9. BenRichards

BenRichards Member

The front of the flyer is the one I posted in between your first two posts, the one with the grass. And the back will be the map.
    I know what you are saying about the dark colours. But the client seems to like it. And if the front is already finalised, and I use a bright colour on the back do you not think it will take away from the front?
  10. dedwardp

dedwardp Member

I actually like the way you've done the map, too. Maybe blend the picture at the top into the darker area better but, other than that, I do like the map.
  11. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member

Irrelevant, I reckon: you won't see the front and the back at the same time. I ran my first car with wheel trims on the driver's side and none on the other and you'd never have noticed - same principle.
  12. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member

In that case, it's fine as it is (although I think the journey times tell you more than the map on that front).
  13. linziloop

linziloop Member

I too actually quite like the way the map is done, but the little gold flash underneath Bangor is distracting, I'd get rid of that :)
  14. dedwardp

dedwardp Member

Also, perhaps if the roads that are left sort of hanging are faded out a little as opposed to just cut off quite abruptly?
  15. Amy_Alternate

Amy_Alternate New Member

Hi, this is a really nice poster and like everyone else said, the map looks great! So much better than if you had shoved it in as a normal old grey map! The only thing I would say, is as linziloop said above - the gold/orange under the word Bangor looks a little out of place! Other than that, it looks fab!