Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unoriginal Design

Discussion in 'General Business Forum:' started by wac, Jul 26, 2011.

1. wac

wac Senior Member

I've been doing a bit of crowd sourcing lately which obviously has it's ins and outs, the extent of which I'm going to leave alone for now and save a comprehensive blog post on the subject.

But for now have a look at this, I designed a logo for a client called RouteGraph. The brief was prety open ended with the client not specifing what he wanted the logo to look like or a colour scheme.

I made this:
    [​IMG]

And a couple of days later a competitor came up with this highly original design:

[​IMG]

I mean seriously, how does this person sleep at night? :eek:

2. Romack

Romack Senior Member

Unfortunately this happens a boat load of the time.

And again unfortunately, they have took your great idea, and executed that little bit better. I reckon if you'd continued working with your design you'd have ended up at that point.

It's just the dirty B*s*a*d beat you to it and it's a f*c*i*g shame.

3. dedwardp

dedwardp Member

That's the name of the game with crowd sourcing though - if entries are openly visible then people will take the best ideas and adapt them.

Nice logo though by the way, I like it.

4. wac

wac Senior Member

I suppose I'm biased but I certainly don't think the rip off one if any good at all, let alone better. Nevertheless I followed up in true crowd sourcing style with a subsequent design incorporating the longitudes from this one.

[​IMG]

5. DWildish

DWildish Member

6. jf design

jf design New Member

Your original design was miles better than the rip off. I don't know what kind of satisfaction someone would get from doing such a blatant copy – they obviously have no shame!

7. 2nd jf design: If you're going to rip off an idea, at least do it well! The kerning's all off, the plane device is too small, and the vapour trail lines are wonky.

8. wac

wac Senior Member

It all turned out well in the end, this was the winning design :)

9. aibrean

aibrean Member

You have not much protection in a crowdsourced environment. I don't have much sympathy for you.

10. wac

wac Senior Member

No sympathy required, see above ;)

11. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

That's why you're supposed to submit your design in the last few hours ;)