Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK Law on using Fonts

Discussion in 'Font Forum:' started by bsugar, Apr 15, 2015.

1. bsugar

bsugar Member

Hey People,

Does anyone know how I can use my fonts that I use in my graphic design, logos and websites legally?

I believe that I have to get a license for each font that I use, is that correct? If so what about editing software like Photoshop and Illustrator. Once you buy the software fonts come with it. Does this mean that I have to buy the software and then buy licenses for each font I use.

Also where would the best place be to buy fonts that have licenses clearly available. I have checked out Google fonts and Dafont but there dosen't appear to be any clarification on how to use them within the law?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys :icon_wink:
  2. hankscorpio

hankscorpio Moderator Staff Member

Let's keep it one thread and avoid duplicate posts :)
  3. PriyeshDesign

PriyeshDesign Member

Hi Sugar, I had a look at DaFont and there is a mention on how you can use the font, for example 'free for personal use', '100% free' and 'donationware'. However the author may also state something about purchasing a commercial license, by which you contact the author. If there is no mention at all, then I guess you are free to use the font for any purpose, except to sell.

You can purchase commercial fonts from Fontspring. You could also have a look at Fontsquirrel.

I hope this helps.