UK Hosting for Wordpress??

Mark2000

Hi. Please can anyone recommend any good uk hosting companies for a wordpress site and also to purchase my domain through? Its not likely to have huge amounts of traffic, but reliable hosting that doesn't break the bank. thanks

I've got hosting with both Site5 and Servage (for hosting clients). Site5 is probably better if you're inexperienced or have a site elsewhere as they can transfer everything over for you, but Servage servers seem quite fast in comparison.

I have my own hosting account which is run through the HEG group. They own 123-reg webfusion Heart Internet to name a few. I would be pleased to quote if you want.

Hi guys, I was going to make a thread about this but this topic seems suitable.

I have been with GoDaddy, ever since my first online store website that I made when I was an inexperienced student. I haven't ever used any other company, as I find them so reliable, they have never let me down.

What am I missing here? There are so many recommendations of other hosting companies, I just don't know which one is best, or why they may be better than GoDaddy? I have a feeling being with GoDaddy is the wrong option haha.

It often comes down to customer service. Most hosting companies are competitive on pricing since they need to be, so I wouldn't always worry about that. Switching provider can be a pain so sometimes it's better to take the hit on monthly cost to ensure you have a stable site and emails. Some hosts are cheaper because they offer less in the way of services and you need the knowledge and expertise to do it yourself. Others will charge slightly more because there's a chance they may need to have a member of staff so that issue for you for example.

Servage were recommended to me because of their serve speed. Sites I host with them do seem to load fast, even on mobile, though the amount is probably negligible to most people.

If you're happy with GoDaddy and aren't paying an obscene amount then I wouldn't worry about it. The GoDaddy CEO did hunt an elephant a while back which I recall resulted in something of a backlash and a lot of people still boycott the company because of this.

Last edited:
That's the thing, I have no idea whether I am paying over the odds or not, and although they seem to get a bit more expensive every year, I always found them reasonable, especially when they are forever e-mailing me with discount codes of 25%+ off. I am looking to upgrade to a WP hosting with them, which if I remember correctly will cost me £200 for 2 years (before applying any discount codes) that will be less than £8.30 p/m once I get a percentage off.

Is that good, bad, reasonable? Overpriced?

PS. It says page not found but I am not happy about the elephant!

That's the thing, I have no idea whether I am paying over the odds or not, and although they seem to get a bit more expensive every year, I always found them reasonable, especially when they are forever e-mailing me with discount codes of 25%+ off. I am looking to upgrade to a WP hosting with them, which if I remember correctly will cost me £200 for 2 years (before applying any discount codes) that will be less than £8.30 p/m once I get a percentage off.

Is that good, bad, reasonable? Overpriced?
The 25% of discount codes are likely factored into their costs, so if you pay for hosting without a discount code, essentially you're paying more than you should (or more than they expect you to). Noticed how Oak Furniture Land have sales all through the year? Those products are supposed to be sold at the 'reduced' price,

You can definitely get better value hosting if you shop around but often it's from 'uglier' hosting companies. GoDaddy and the such like rely on marketing and selling and well designed sites, and you can argue they target customers who don't really know what they need. I looked at some of their WP hosting features. There "Developer" package limits you to 5 sites (not many for a developer really), and the 800,000 monthly visitors equates to 16,000 visits per site, less than their basic package. You also get a free SSL certificate, which will cost you ~£50 per year to renew. Mine cost me £25, and you can only use that SSL certification on one domain.

Site 5 have a good deal with their HostPro package, that equates to about £7.50 a month, with a lot of features GoDaddy charge more for (SHH access for example). Scroll down and have a look at all the features. Shop around and compare what each host gives you for the same price.

PS. It says page not found but I am not happy about the elephant!
Should work now.

I am looking to upgrade to a WP hosting with them, which if I remember correctly will cost me £200 for 2 years....
....Is that good, bad, reasonable? Overpriced?

To put it into perspective, I have 2 hosting packages with 2 different companies.
• The first (as I've probably mentioned further up the post) is a cloud reseller package with Vidahost. It costs me £299 a year. It's unlimited storage, unlimited sites, unlimited mailbox sizes.. etc...
• The second is a dedicated server with a company called DataCentre Plus, in Manchester. It costs me £900 a year! It has an Intel Dual Core @ 2.9GHz, 4GB RAM, + 500GB HDD and Windows server 2012 with MsQSL. (the only reason I bought it was to host 10 websites built in .asp).

The 25% of discount codes are likely factored into their costs, so if you pay for hosting without a discount code, essentially you're paying more than you should (or more than they expect you to). Noticed how Oak Furniture Land have sales all through the year? Those products are supposed to be sold at the 'reduced' price,

You can definitely get better value hosting if you shop around but often it's from 'uglier' hosting companies. GoDaddy and the such like rely on marketing and selling and well designed sites, and you can argue they target customers who don't really know what they need. I looked at some of their WP hosting features. There "Developer" package limits you to 5 sites (not many for a developer really), and the 800,000 monthly visitors equates to 16,000 visits per site, less than their basic package. You also get a free SSL certificate, which will cost you ~£50 per year to renew. Mine cost me £25, and you can only use that SSL certification on one domain.

Site 5 have a good deal with their HostPro package, that equates to about £7.50 a month, with a lot of features GoDaddy charge more for (SHH access for example). Scroll down and have a look at all the features. Shop around and compare what each host gives you for the same price.

I'll definitely have a look around in future, especially at companies that you guys recommend, but I think for now, I will stick with GoDaddy until I need to host multiple sites, as opposed to a couple here and there. With their discount codes, I will probably be paying around that £7.50p/m figure, I may be missing out on a lot of extra features, but the fact that I don't know what they are, means I probably don't have the need for them at present. SSL is an important one due to this year's changes, it is a must have feature for rankings, security etc, when before, unless you had an e-commerce site selling products, is wasn't really necessary. But even with the £50 renew cost per year, I'll be taking out a 2 year plan, which essentially equates to the cheaper £25 price you mentioned (over that time period), as I get the first year of SSL for 'free'.

When I do move onto another hosting company, I would like it to have a similar customer service as GoDaddy, where they are available to take calls 24/7 incase I run into any problems, due to my lack of web development knowledge and whatnot. I must say, their customer service is outstanding and has always solved any issue I've had.

To put it into perspective, I have 2 hosting packages with 2 different companies.
• The first (as I've probably mentioned further up the post) is a cloud reseller package with Vidahost. It costs me £299 a year. It's unlimited storage, unlimited sites, unlimited mailbox sizes.. etc...
• The second is a dedicated server with a company called DataCentre Plus, in Manchester. It costs me £900 a year! It has an Intel Dual Core @ 2.9GHz, 4GB RAM, + 500GB HDD and Windows server 2012 with MsQSL. (the only reason I bought it was to host 10 websites built in .asp).

Yeah, I mean that sounds phenomenal but I am not hosting no where near enough sites to warrant paying £300+ per year. But they are incredible deals!. Are they WP hosting? On my current plan (not WP hosting) the 'Deluxe' package offers Unlimited websites, Unlimited storage, & Unlimited bandwidth and their 'Unlimited' package comes with more features but I just don't have any need for these plans at present, plus I want to upgrade to WP Hosting anyway.

Kinsta (UK based) and Siteground (eastern europe) are pretty good. WP Engine also has a UK office / entity / servers, but I work there so take this shill's advice with a grain of salt :) ....... Taking my shill hat off for a second, I would go with Siteground for cost effectiveness and WP Engine for speed, reliability, and scalability. Siteground is super active in the WP community for a budget host and obviously WP Engine pays attention to a thing or two when it comes to WordPress. Good luck!

Back