Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too late to become a designer?

Discussion in 'Universities & Training Forum:' started by bignige, Apr 13, 2014.

1. bignige

bignige New Member

Hi

I run my own business along with a colleague and a self-employed designer. We publish glossy A5 local advertising magazines.

I am 53 years of age and I am looking at trying to find a course part-time that will give me at least enough knowledge to be able to design print adverts from scratch and also to be able to put together a 32 page magazine.

Any idea how long it will take to be able to achieve the above - for someone with no experience whatsoever?

It may seem a strange request but having been in business for a year we don't have enough work for a full-time permanently employed designer and so use people who also have 'day jobs' and it is often frustrating waiting for designs to come back - so I thought I might see if I can learn how to do it myself!

I may be wrong but is it that difficult - the actual magazine layout is the same every month so I assume that is just a case of setting-up a template?

We don't have customers wanting really fancy designs.

Does anyone know of such a course? I am based in Lincolnshire.

Nige

2. bigdave

bigdave Moderator Staff Member

Who prints your magazine? A lot of small publishing companies pay their printer to design the ads, layup the magazine etc..

3. Sam Cowley

Sam Cowley Member

Welcome to the forum!

4. andybdesign

andybdesign Active Member

Hi Nige,

You could take a look at lynda.com. They have great tutorial videos online. Maybe something like this Indesign course:

http://www.lynda.com/InDesign-tutor...gn page:1 s:relevance sa:true producttypeid:2

You will of course need Adobe Indesign though.

Your other option is to hire a freelancer to do a design for you. I'd be happy to give you a quote if you just wanted to know how much something like this might cost.

Andy